A Question about Moving Bees and Equipment to France?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee-Key-Pur

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1+
I know there have been one or two people on the forum that have moved to France, (but can't remember who they where) so I wanted to ask how easy or hard it was?

Are there any restrictions on movement of bees or equipment from the UK to France, if not, is there any paper work involved to move them over and do you have to be registered in France to keep bees?

What is the situation like for buying both bees and equipment over there, are there many suppliers in the country and how do the prices compare to the UK?

That’s all the questions I can think of for now.
Thanks.
Brian

As long as you move them under three feet a day, you should be fine :D

you may have trouble getting bits for Nationals. beekeepers in France use Dadants and Langstroths

What part of France are you looking to move to Brian? I know of a bee keeping group near Angouleme if that helps.

Mike.

First decision you have to make is hive type - stick with what you have or go Dadant/Langstroth. I sold my bees and used my Nationals as packing cases:) then was given a nuc on Dadant frames which I transferred to National.

Th**nes deliver very efficiently at reasonable cost - just requires a bit of forward planning to take the week or so delivery time into account.

The local "county" co-op stocks Dadant with all you would need if you decide to change formats. Prices for kit similar to UK but bees are much cheaper (Nuc approx 70 euros)

You do need to register but I would not worry about that until you are established.

A few of us over here now Dordogne, Normandy, Charante, Haut Vienne, have you an area in mind?

PM me if you want any more info or think of more questions:cheers2: Mike

Thanks guys. I have recieved details for a few places and I like the look of several, one on the top of the list is in the Charente-Maritime area.

We are going to come over for a few weeks and take a good look at whats on offer and see if there is anything we like.

MJbee, I will pm you if there's anything else I need to know, if that's ok with you?

Thanks.
Brian

If you don't find anything you like turn inland, the next department in the Charante (home of cognac), then God's county the Dordogne (but I'm biased)

Feel free to ask away. Bon courage Mike

Latest posts

Back