A Little Sneaky Peek

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is always comforting to see them inside. All mine were flying today, whilst that doesn't mean they will survive it does fill me with confidence that they might!
E
Yes confidence inspiring indeed.... All three of my hives had a huge amount of activity yesterday, sun was out and temp up... Looked like an early summer day at the apiary...

Attachments

• 20170108_124455.jpg
    20170108_124455.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20170108_124506.jpg
    20170108_124506.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 22
  • 20170108_124513.jpg
    20170108_124513.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 22
That is absolutely true....and I look forward to having the experience to 'know' when they are well enough prepared. I didn't open my hives as they all have ekes with a see through cover board below. The fondant tub sits over the hole in the cover board. Thick wodges of sheeps wool insulation fills the eke and they are polys so the roof is also insulated. I also have a wooden langstroth.
The eke is a spare brood box so it has a huge wodge of insulation above the cover board. I can't see into the Beehaus as the covers are not see through but I could see some bees under the fondant tub...as that was see through. I won't be inspecting my bees for months yet...I think it was April last year. Last year was a poor year for the bees so keeping an eye on stores is important. I knew they would have enough until after Xmas but as it has been so mild...they could have been using more stores. I'm still learning about this...so checking is important...and as I only have 6 colonies I can't afford to be complacent.

I still see myself as a beginner. There is always something new to learn. You'll get there

Gosh...keeping bees can get very expensive!

"CAN" get? I only started this year, but I'm feeling somewhat in the "has got" camp!

I know it's start-up costs, but my first jar of honey (which, with luck, might happen this coming season) will have set me back rather more than some cars I've had. ;)

Never mind - it's all about the bees and the enjoyment - something to look forward to! :nature-smiley-013:

Tony.

"CAN" get? I only started this year, but I'm feeling somewhat in the "has got" camp!

I know it's start-up costs, but my first jar of honey (which, with luck, might happen this coming season) will have set me back rather more than some cars I've had. ;)

Never mind - it's all about the bees and the enjoyment - something to look forward to! :nature-smiley-013:

Tony.
You are not wrong there Tony , the car i have is nothing flash just a dog bus, but i would have been able to buy three of them with the amount i have spent on these bees over the past two years.

You are not wrong there Tony , the car i have is nothing flash just a dog bus, but i would have been able to buy three of them with the amount i have spent on these bees over the past two years.

...and when you've spent a fortune...you then start to find out how you want to care for your bees...what hive, what tools, what insulation, what apiary...the list goes on. So the change over to a different hive starts...then the frames....and on and on...ha ha.

Latest posts

Back