A little help please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember having a glimpse of a colleagues paying off report (we used to do three month stints away in those days, then return to our home shore stations), the reports just went to our Senior Officers ashore)
'the only reason officers would follow this man is from a sense of idle curiosity'
Because they weren't clever enough to think for themselves?
Was you then going to say " curiosity killed the cat" ;)

My head is still hurting trying to find a reason for all this fiddling

Your philosophy is very austere JBM; fiddling and experimenting is one of the joys of our craft - eg. trying different ways to Demarree or Bailey. Ditto buying the latest gadget to appear on the market.

Cant say it’s ever something I’ve experienced or seen referred to in any beekeeping literature. Anything you can point us to. Years ago I helped an old beek who claimed his combs were 20years old and they still had brood being reared in them😂 Theoretically the idea would be sound but I wonder how many years this wax would have to be in use for such an issue to occur,

Do think about it just a little bit! The frames might well be 20 years old (some mine may be getting that way), the comb spine of those frames may be original - but the cell walls will have been, replaced as and when necessary, during that time. The beekeeper could harvest their honey by scraping cells back to the spine (but simply replacing foundation is easier - or spinning the honey out and not ‘losing’ any appreciable amount of wax).

Have you never hear of “Trigger and his broom”?. Oh whata non-progressive, throwaway society some live in.

We all keep our bees differently. If folk want to change their combs every 1,2, or 3 years or never does it matter?
Not a lot but dispelling some of the myths associated with beekeeping does give new beekeepers (and frankly some old beekeepers) a fresh perspective on what is perpetuated perceived wisdom ... This forum has often challenged old ideas - in that respect there are many foreward thinking and outward looking beekeepers on here that contribute to the collective knowledge.

My beekeeping has been immensely influenced by these people and I am grateful that they have taken the time to introduce different approaches to some beekeeping practices which appear to be based on historic, incorrect, assumptions.

Looking beyond the books can be a lonely place in beekeeping when so much is entrenched knowledge passed on and practised by rote. This forum has provided me with reassurance that some of the things I observe personally are supported with posts from other beekeepers and my knowledge has been enhanced so much by the debate and discussions (good and bad) that we see on here.

Last edited:
Don’t try to misquote me. I did not say anything about bees absconding because the comb was ‘old’. Bees are clearly more clever than most humans (particularly bibba?). Repair and replacement is far better than discarding otherwise perfectly operational items (including their home). Bees do not encourage waxmoth and mice to help em out with their housekeeping. Only after the colony has died out, does this occur (hopefully), as a means of recycling the cavity by removal of any unwanted infections thereby readying the cavity for future incoming swarms.
Spot on RAB ....if the bees want it - they will do it - they are more than capable of dismantling and rebuilding as they see fit. Our human interference is normally more for our convenience and perceptions than it is for theirs.

Not a lot but dispelling some of the myths associated with beekeeping does give new beekeepers (and frankly some old beekeepers) a fresh perspective on what is perpetuated perceived wisdom ... This forum has often challenged old ideas - in that respect there are many foreward thinking and outward looking beekeepers on here that contribute to the collective knowledge.
I’ve learned a lot from others more experienced than me. If I’d ploughed my own furrow I would likely have given up. I’m still learning every day.
But what I can say is that given the chance bees will sort things out themselves and I’m definitely very light handed on interference. That comes from experience though and beginners can be forgiven for fiddling but not for long😉

I'll start by thanking again all of you for the time and thought you have put into my enquiry. I have now put the new brood box complete with entrance full of drawn wax under the old brood box the old entrance taken away a honey supper that has been on the old bb through out the winter with some of last years honey still present left on. The bees that came out when the bb was lifted off its base were very lively and all returned into the hive through the new entrance i didn't use smoke. The bees selling back into the hive quickly. To address some of the constructive criticism, firstly i haven't a honey spinner that will take commercial brood frames the old brood chamber placed nearly entrance to entrance seemed logical as i live very remotely and have no other hives, I did collect a substantial amount of this reclaimed honey in the supers put on the old brood box, well down on my previous years crop but that was expected with the amount of new wax they had made. I don't use qx as I've had problems getting the bees to go through into the supers but as soon as I took the Qx away all went well. 2 years ago I had 6 suppers on with not any queen excursions into the supers. As regards swarming as I said in my first responce when i first started my hives swarmed regularly, then I was keen to do things properly and inspected fortnightly for queen cells and sighns of any thing not right, taking out any unwanted queen cells which resulted in even more queen cells being produced then i was having the problem of the bees not going through the Qx as well. The swarms when first emerging always settling very close to their original hive before setting off on their adventures in all cases the swarms were collected and resulting in me multiplying my hives resulting in problems of to small a colony to overwinter. I have just one Commercial hive now that is very full of brood. I have a theory that because i'm using commercial brood chamber without a qx and keep stacking supers on whenever they start to fill the hive never runs out of space together with not going into the brood chamber disturbing there well being they do not swarm allowing the colony to get very large. I realise i'm going to get quite a bit of criticism for putting forward this analogy but I am here observing this happening through out the year. I will let you all know how this turns out as the bees are now wintering again with the outer covers on their new larger hive till the weather warms and drys up.
you've got some strange ideas, taking their stores (the super) off now doesn't sound wise, it's still January so unlikely they can replace it unless you are located somewhere warmer(you didn't mention fondant as far as I could see but it was a difficult post to read, try to include paragraphs next time)

Performing manipulations this time of year is also not ideal as it may disturb the brood ball and a cold snap could put the colony at serious risk.

I would suggest getting a new mentor and if you really don't want to inspect your brood box etc maybe question whether beekeeping is for you

taking out any unwanted queen cells
This won't work, because you're attempting to defeat the bees' instincts and you'll always lose. Before the season starts I'd encourage you to plan to manage swarming: splits, vertical splits, artificial swarm, whatever you like. If you end up with too many colonies, keep the best new queens, get rid or nuc the rest, and unite your colonies before the main flow.

which resulted in even more queen cells being produced
Almost guaranteed to happen.

using commercial brood chamber without a qx and keep stacking supers on whenever they start to fill the hive never runs out of space
Yes, working without QXs and giving space will reduce swarming, but to gain that benefit I'll lay money that she's been up in the supers.

Don't you be coming on here, spreading nonsense with all your fact and experience-based arguments. ;) ;) ;)

...but you do imply that judgement comes into this; some three-year old frames may be only partially used.

🤣 yes sometimes I ask myself why I do it too! Need to be resilient at times & duck the missiles. Contribute as a way of giving back to others wanting to learn, in return for the stuff I learn too. Has to be 2-way or I’d have given up ages ago 🤔🐝

Have you a link to any research on this?
Any peer review?

I haven't made any claims on that subject other than offering an opinion that "some judgement comes into this"; so why ask me?
As always, you will find multiple studies on the internet which will support what @elainemary has said. I am sure there are plenty which support the opposite view.

I haven't made any claims on that subject other than offering an opinion that "some judgement comes into this"; so why ask me?
As always, you will find multiple studies on the internet which will support what @elainemary has said. I am sure there are plenty which support the opposite view.
I was joshing with you not Elaine

I’ve learnt more from this forum than all the books I’ve read in the few years I’ve been beekeeping. It really pays to challenge the perceived ‘wisdom’, ask for sound advice from people who really understand bees and don’t be afraid to ask ‘why’? So much is still being done because it’s always been done, and often not because it’s the right thing for the bees but because they’ve been endlessly anthropomorphised.

Latest posts

Back