A curious problem.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Mods please move to another section if needed.

I have been having trouble with a numb finger on my left hand for some time. The problem is worse at night and can wake me op for periods of time with a horrid ache that only moving around and shaking gets the sensation away.

So long story short. I went for a nerve exam yesterday and I have carpal tunnel in both wrists. Basically it was a ping test with the resistance of the tendon sheaths being measured so on a science basis on a scale of one to 5 both wrists are 4's. However and this is the odd bit which puzzled the doc, I have no symptoms in my right hand. Seemingly it is abnormal for the non dominant had to be worse than the dominant one and I am a right hander. The only difference I can think of is that my right as I use it for the hive tool gets stung far more often. Operations now loom.

Curious eh?

PH

CTS is often brought about in jobs where you have to grip tightly often or are in contact with vibration (same kind of thing as Vibration White Finger for people who work with power tools) it's the constant work which closes up the tunnels they reckon I developed it because working on fast patrol boats in rough weather we were alway hanging on to something which shook!
I had Bilateral CTS and they operated on both hands around about 2000, it stopped it getting worse although I still experience slight tingling sometimes, I think with me although ambidextrous it wasn't the most used hand that was worse

I have been having trouble with a numb finger on my left hand for some time. The problem is worse at night and can wake me op for periods of time with a horrid ache that only moving around and shaking gets the sensation away.

So long story short. I went for a nerve exam yesterday and I have carpal tunnel in both wrists. Basically it was a ping test with the resistance of the tendon sheaths being measured so on a science basis on a scale of one to 5 both wrists are 4's. However and this is the odd bit which puzzled the doc, I have no symptoms in my right hand. Seemingly it is abnormal for the non dominant had to be worse than the dominant one and I am a right hander. The only difference I can think of is that my right as I use it for the hive tool gets stung far more often. Operations now loom.

Curious eh?

PH

I was speaking to a beekeeper recently who was stung on her thumb last year. She said it was the most painful sting she’s ever had and brought tears to her eyes (she thinks it hit a nerve). She lost all feeling in her thumb for 6 months. She says it’s all back to normal now though

I did a lot of repetitive strain injury claims for the National Union of Tailors and Garment Workers way back when. The insurers frequently relied on an Australian study which they argued proved that the problems were usually the result of a hysterical condition suffered by middle aged women.

I don't see the relevance as an elderly white male......

PH

I get about 120 or so stings a year = mainly fingers. During summer/autumn the arthritis in right middle finger disappears. (It was year round before beekeeping)
I see no other effects from stings except black stingers left in the skin. (I have tetanus antibodies in my blood so no problems of infection)

I am not middle aged, a woman nor am I hysterical (deranged ? possibly:cool:)

I get about 120 or so stings a year = mainly fingers. During summer/autumn the arthritis in right middle finger disappears. (It was year round before beekeeping)
I see no other effects from stings except black stingers left in the skin. (I have tetanus antibodies in my blood so no problems of infection)

I am not middle aged, a woman nor am I hysterical (deranged ? possibly:cool:)
After getting stung just inside nose yesterday the thought of apitherapy as a treatment for arthritis is not appealing, why would anyone voluntarily get stung?

I don't get stung very often, boy did that hurt! My nose is still swollen today and I look like I have had a bad collagen lip implant.

You became a beekeeper😂

Do you know ... virtually the first thing people ask you when they find out that you keep bees 'Do you get stung ?' Bloody silly question really, Do whales swim in the sea, Does the Pope go to church on Sunday, Do bears ... well - Do beekeepers get stung ?

After getting stung just inside nose yesterday the thought of apitherapy as a treatment for arthritis is not appealing, why would anyone voluntarily get stung?
I don't have the reference but I heard of a guy in USA who got stung all over his body (for science!) to make a league table of pain. The septum was no. 1.

I had a convo with my hand consultant and before she gave me a steroid injection she said its no worse than a bee sting. I educated her and then having described it sent her this photo. She was so deft the sting was a damn sight worse.

PH

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 53
I did a lot of repetitive strain injury claims for the National Union of Tailors and Garment Workers way back when. The insurers frequently relied on an Australian study which they argued proved that the problems were usually the result of a hysterical condition suffered by middle aged women.
I bet that went down a storm if the judge was a sufferer😀

Curious eh?

PH
I had some tingling in both hands, particularly when driving. I put it down to typing at work. It was all brought to a head about a year into beekeeping, after retiring. It followed a few sessions of lifting heavy brood boxes about and I too showed the same reading for both hands, although I was more bothered by my left hand (I'm right handed). On reflection, I noted that when slowly lowering brood boxes back in place, I take the weight on the left, while manoeuvering with the right. I finally had the op on the left one in late Autumn and it was back to normal strength ready for the new bee year in the Spring. Strangely, my right hand has now recovered too. you mention plural operations, are you having both hands done the same time? You had better get some leisurewear in as JBM suggested. It took ages to get dressed, although the op was over in 8 minutes and painless. (y)Good luck.
Linda

After research a beekeeper determined that the inside of the nose was the most painful place to be stung. He tested every part of his body, every part, probably needed help with some of it.

Latest posts

Back