5 Frame Nuc ~ Do I continue to feed or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jymbo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
New Beek first post. I collected a 5 Frame Nuc last Saturday and transferred into Hive the same day without any known issues and have seen bees busy flyiing in out out of hive during good weather. I also gave them a 1:1 feed which they fail to take for 24 hours until I dropt some syrup down into the hive. Checked feeder this morning to find that almost all the syrup had gone.

My question is should I continue to feed or wait until I open the hive at the weekend to see if what amount of comb that they have drawn?

FJC

New Beek first post. I collected a 5 Frame Nuc last Saturday and transferred into Hive the same day without any known issues and have seen bees busy flyiing in out out of hive during good weather. I also gave them a 1:1 feed which they fail to take for 24 hours until I dropt some syrup down into the hive. Checked feeder this morning to find that almost all the syrup had gone.

My question is should I continue to feed or wait until I open the hive at the weekend to see if what amount of comb that they have drawn?

FJC

When you hived them, how much did they have in the way of stores? If they had nothing, a couple of pints of 1:1 will help, so how much did you feed them? May not be enough if they haven't been able to forage.
You said they have, so perhaps they are OK. Only one way to know for sure.

I inspected the Nuc on collection and could see decent stores on nearly all the frames. The feed was 1kilo sugar/1 pint water.

As the bees have only been hived for 4 days is it safe to have a look in the hive or should I wait for 7 days?

"The feed was 1kilo sugar/1 pint water."

I hope you mean 1kilo sugar/i litre] water.

I inspected the Nuc on collection and could see decent stores on nearly all the frames. The feed was 1kilo sugar/1 pint water.

As the bees have only been hived for 4 days is it safe to have a look in the hive or should I wait for 7 days?

I think you have answered your own question- don't feed any more. In order to expand the queen needs laying space: feeding anything more will reduce this.

If all else is well, leave them well alone for the meantime.

Building up a colony to full strength is important to get it through the winter, sugar is the main food source for wax production and to get those foundations drawn so the queen can lay, you need to keep an eye on them and make sure they have plenty of stores for wax production but not too much that will block the laying of the queen

Latest posts

Back