3 week swarm, no sign of laying queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emergency queen cells are unlikely to be optimal. First out will likely be a scrubby queen developed from a ‘just-young-enough larva, not the best way to do it. With only half the colony, the multitude of queen cells are not likely to as well nurtured as a few cells in a strong colony.

Regarding the weather, you should know that the UK has a maritime climate. A good climate but lousy weather. The middle of April is just plain hopefulness in most parts of the UK.

How many drones were about at that time? I could predict that the weather is likely to be unfavourable sometime in April/early May. Why do you think there is such demand for queens from distant lands? Just think about it. UK bee farmers/breeders would have loads of queens available - if they could - but they know that conditions are not good for queen rearing (the proper way) early in the season in the UK, let alone a walk-away split.

Guessing about the weather is simply a lottery. Far better to wait that extra month and improve the probability of success. Given time, you might learn to think before trying to ‘jump the gun’.

Emergency queen cells are unlikely to be optimal. First out will likely be a scrubby queen developed from a ‘just-young-enough larva, not the best way to do it. With only half the colony, the multitude of queen cells are not likely to as well nurtured as a few cells in a strong colony.

Regarding the weather, you should know that the UK has a maritime climate. A good climate but lousy weather. The middle of April is just plain hopefulness in most parts of the UK.

How many drones were about at that time? I could predict that the weather is likely to be unfavourable sometime in April/early May. Why do you think there is such demand for queens from distant lands? Just think about it. UK bee farmers/breeders would have loads of queens available - if they could - but they know that conditions are not good for queen rearing (the proper way) early in the season in the UK, let alone a walk-away split.

Guessing about the weather is simply a lottery. Far better to wait that extra month and improve the probability of success. Given time, you might learn to think before trying to ‘jump the gun’.

There were a ton of drones. If I didn't split this hive in early April, they would be swarming right now.

I would rather 'jump the gun' by splitting my hives and breeding my own queens in a somewhat unpredictable climate with local, natural & wild genetics rather than import some eugenic-pure bred queens.

Bee's manage to propagate themselves in the UK just fine without beekeeper influence, I trust in their abilities to create a queen even if the weather isn't optimal..

My other walkaway split has just started laying after 40 days.

I have placed a frame of bees, capped brood, eggs, larvae and bee bread in this hive, will be checking back next week to see their development.

She’s happy! Was a good 50 days from the split before I saw signs of a laying queen.

Latest posts

Back