3 Mile rule- how long before returning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Moved 2 hives yesterday over 3 miles from my apiary. How long should I leave them three before returning then to within one mile of my apiary?

If the new site is a mile away I probably would have just done the move. Now you’ve gone the whole hog I would say minimum!! of a week. I did a move on a hive at a school last year from 1 walled garden to another a few returned buzzed the old site but gone by eve.

Moved 2 hives yesterday over 3 miles from my apiary. How long should I leave them three before returning then to within one mile of my apiary?

depends on the time of year and forage available. The loose rule of thumb is one brood cycle. You want the hive memory to be focused on the new location and forget the old

doesnt it more depend on how far the new site you want to move them to is from the site they are now at

the rule will apply again from the site they're now at to the site you want to take them to, rather than original apiary

If its going to be cold wet and miserable for a while where you are, i.e. no flying weather; you could probably consider just placing them exactly where you want them to be right away.

doesnt it more depend on how far the new site you want to move them to is from the site they are now at

the rule will apply again from the site they're now at to the site you want to take them to, rather than original apiary

It applies at each move! :svengo:

JBM is correct, you want all or most of the bees from the original site to be on their last legs before moving the second time. could be 4-6 weeks.

I move hives to my dad's back garden 26 miles away! Just because it's secure (and close to work so not a great problem).

However, as the old man is 85 (and self isolating) the nuc that was dropped off 3 weeks ago will have to do whatever mother nature intends!

I expect there to be a couple of swarms on the loose before I'm able to visit! :bump:

Bees remember 2 journeys in their head, one out one in.
If you move a hive any distance they will reorient to the new position regardless (twigs and branches superfluous). And then go looking for forage. If they forage on the same patch as before, the previous remembered return journey takes precedence and will send them to their old site. If they find different forage they will return to their new site.

So lots of depends and times of year. But 3/4 weeks is about right if you are worried. This time of year I'd simply move them a mile and now worry....still not too late to do that, apart from increased stress from 2 moves.

I had a classic example of hive return memory last season. I turned a hive 90 degrees in one go. So initially all the returning bees approached the side where their entrance used to be and where quite confused. A week later most had adjusted to the new position but quite a lot where still remembering their old journey back. Now instead of looking confused they simply landed on the side of the hive where their old entrance was and ran around the side hive to their new entrance. It was very striking and fascinating and went on for about 4 weeks. It was bramble season and I suspect they were foraging on the same patch.

It depends if the month has an R in it

3 miles 3 weeks in summer seems to be the rule often quoted

Chons da

It applies at each move! :svengo:

JBM is correct, you want all or most of the bees from the original site to be on their last legs before moving the second time. could be 4-6 weeks.

I move hives to my dad's back garden 26 miles away! Just because it's secure (and close to work so not a great problem).

However, as the old man is 85 (and self isolating) the nuc that was dropped off 3 weeks ago will have to do whatever mother nature intends!

I expect there to be a couple of swarms on the loose before I'm able to visit! :bump:

Abit mean to leave a nuc of bees in your old mans front room!

Latest posts

Back