3 in to 1

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<Have enquired with Galtee bees to see if I can get some queens for next year. >

I think your best bet is to join NIHBS first who are closely associated with Galtee Amm queens. I think you get 'first shout' if you support NIHBS.

Thanks Fred, I will have to check if my NIHBS membership is still active, haven't seen any literature from them this year, so I may have forgotten to re-sign this year.

Good to hear you have had good results with the Galtee queens. Aoife gave a great talk here in Dingle a few years ago. I think one of our association members had some queens on order this year, must ask him how they went.

Out of interest have you had queens from other Irish breeders?

Last edited:
Captain,
When DNA results appear from recent research, I'm afraid you will find there are other areas in this country where Amm* still flourish. There are other types of bee in Ireland (sadly) so all you can do is hope these bees are not near yours.

*As near as anyone can hope for or expect as long as there is no control over imported queens. Here or in Ireland.

<Have enquired with Galtee bees to see if I can get some queens for next year. >

I think your best bet is to join NIHBS first who are closely associated with Galtee Amm queens. I think you get 'first shout' if you support NIHBS.

I have had queens from them in the past and found them excellent.

Such queens are in very high demand, so I suggest you join NIHBS now and put your order in for 2021 as ordering next year could be too late.

For others, Galtee as far as I know will not export their queens, instead they focus on improving the Irish native stock.

Fred.

Just out of interest and to have a chat about the ilse of white desease.

Was it much the same in Ireland.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw2wbXl5nbnCiTxkcnjNBeAc&cshid=1596839024041[/URL]
Hopefully the link wrks

Just out of interest and to have a chat about the ilse of white desease.

Was it much the same in Ireland.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw2wbXl5nbnCiTxkcnjNBeAc&cshid=1596839024041[/URL]
Hopefully the link wrks

First detected on the Isle of Weight in England just after the turn of 1900 and though to have been caused by Acarapis Woodi*, it very quickly spread even to Ireland where many counties lost their bees around 1920. Ireland was very rural and hence isolated at the time so it didn't do too much damage.

*A tiny mite that lives in the trachea (air breathing tubes) of honeybees.

Fred.

Last edited:
So I combined all 3 today using a sheet and a board. Fasinating to watch them walk up.

Seemed to go well, I will check in on them again next week. The queen from the bait hive was present, no eggs in the bait hive frames but weather is looking good if she needs a mating flight.

Thanks for the tips 👍

Latest posts

Back