2 year olds, bees and fences

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPea

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hello!

I'm in need of some ideas if I may please? Attached is a map of part of my garden. My 2 year old is keen to get in to the veg bed area and start learning about growing stuff...he can't talk, but that's definitely what he wants...

The bees, in their current position, are currently making this a little challenging and dangerous for him.

I'm very willing to move the small fence or extend it, but I am limited a little by the apple tree.

Any ideas on what I could do? I essentially need to try and stop (as much as possible, I realise it'll never be perfect) the bees from entering the veg patch, particularly while he's "gardening" (eating mud).

Thanks!!

1znvj9j.jpg

Last edited:
Move the hives nearer the hedge and facing it still.

Block off so he can't walk in front.

I have a seven foot high partition made of scaffold netting around my hives that seems to work.

SteveJ

Would the shade from the hedge and the shed not cause problems? I swear that's the reason hive b produces less honey

I would just put up a fence and gate around your hives. It needs to be above head height, so the bees will zoom off at that height. I have as similar set up

Move the hives nearer the hedge and facing it still.

Block off so he can't walk in front.

My take on it, too. You can access from behind and they won't care a jot.

Since your hives are currently facing North West, I'd move them closer to the hedge and turn them 180º - so they face South East. Then surround with 6+ foot high netting. If you make up something like a fruit cage with an open roof, the sun will still get through it nicely, and the bees will be directed up and away, allowing unfettered access to the veg beds and shed.

/// And BTW, the Drone (Harold) really shouldn't be around at this time of year ...

Agree with the fence. The bees will drop over it and land like Harrier Jump jets.

Move them to back on to the side of your shed, point the entrance side roughly South West (so they will be at an angle to the shed) 6' netting in front of the hive ... they will be sheltered from North and East which is where the cold will come from where you are, should get full afternoon sun and the flight path will be mainly straight up in the air. Incoming will be away from the veg patches.

Gate alongside shed into bee enclosure and you have space for another veg bed that won't interfere with your bees.

Hello!

I'm in need of some ideas if I may please? Attached is a map of part of my garden. My 2 year old is keen to get in to the veg bed area and start learning about growing stuff...he can't talk, but that's definitely what he wants...

The bees, in their current position, are currently making this a little challenging and dangerous for him.

Easy...

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back