1st Question - is this normal?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, No I didn't get a test frame and the weather has been reasonable - same as your location. I don't want to kill them off so will probably just let them die out naturally if there is no queen, but could try and introduce one.

An update - We've got grubs!

Grubs.jpg

Over two frames with varying degrees of maturity. Still cant see the queen though! Some sections do have eggs and they appear to be centred (though not as neatly as some pics on the internet), and only one egg per cell - nothing like the random scattering of a laying worker. I think I saw one cell with two eggs in it but it could have been a bit of loose wax. Fingers crossed I have a viable colony, although it is still very small and will probably take a long time to build up! Next week's inspection should be good - looking for capped cells. I have also installed a home made top feeder.

An update - We've got grubs!

View attachment 32375

Over two frames with varying degrees of maturity. Still cant see the queen though! Some sections do have eggs and they appear to be centred (though not as neatly as some pics on the internet), and only one egg per cell - nothing like the random scattering of a laying worker. I think I saw one cell with two eggs in it but it could have been a bit of loose wax. Fingers crossed I have a viable colony, although it is still very small and will probably take a long time to build up! Next week's inspection should be good - looking for capped cells. I have also installed a home made top feeder.
How many times patience turns out to be the answer. Well done

Latest posts

Back