14x12 Winter sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to thank everybody who has offered to help me.
It is a true act of kindness and I am extremely grateful.

In all honesty, I have been going through a hell of a lot this year on my own.
Supporting not just my own family but a couple of others also going through some shall we say 'life changing' times.

Life can quite often be a challenge and in meeting those challenges, it makes one all the more grateful for the every day normality, we so often taken for granted. A hidden gift if you will.

Like any human though, we all have our limits.
I'm always a positive person and always there for others but when I found out the highlight of my year had gone, it was the straw which broke the camel's back.

RAB I can take the essence of what you are saying.
Learning to become empowered as an individual is a far more healthy and positive action than crying helpless/victim.
However, in your typically brusque manner, which I have come to expect from you, I sincerely hope that you are not inimating that I am sponging off peoples' good will.
Such an insinuation would be a needless enditement to someone you have never met nor known. I have not included the half of what I have had shovelled on me this year for the very reason, I do not want to look like a victim. Furthermore, I dearly appreciate that everyone on here has troubles and serious circumstances where we are forced to pull out everything from the deepest of ourselves.
However, coming so close to losing certain friends and family forever...I'm sorry but my spirit has been shattered for the time being.

My post was more in the vein of having a place to 'vent' where I feel part of a community. There is something terribly soothing sometimes about coming onto the beekeeping forum, when all else outside might be falling to pieces, and seeing the same old names talking about bees in their same old characteristic manner. You feel almost as if you are neighbours.
That was my immediate intent. To simply share a little of my feelings and frustrations, something I have not been able to do, with people I have come to consider as my bee friends and whose personalities and various querks come to give me a little pleasure.

Do people want me to put up a photographic record of turning big sheets of ply into supers and brood boxes?

Do people want me to put up a photographic record of turning big sheets of ply into supers and brood boxes?

Yes please, will be helpful for current and future members.

I'm sorry but my spirit has been shattered for the time being.

well that in inself shows you know there's light at the end of the tunnel...

There's always light. We just can't always see it.
Like I say, I'm a positive person and I'm grateful that my loved ones are still here. That's a gift.

I don't want the attention to be on my life, I'd like this thread to be a positive thing about bees and beekeeping. As I said, I just needed to share with my bee-community.
I've done that and I'm very grateful to the good help and nature of the folk on here.:patriot:

Last edited:
No, that post was a positive suggestion. If someone asks me to show them how to, I will often finish the job, while teaching them how to do it for themselves next time, or showing which tools are required or how one can adapt other tools to do the same job.

A good response here has been to add an eke. They are not difficult once you know how, you would find it straight forward were you shown how to do one - and there are often several ways to achieve the same end result. I was not suggesting you were sponging, just showing the subtle difference of approach, which would be not apparent to many readers out there.

The 14 x12s were an extortionate price over the standard broods, IMO. A softwood eke is peanuts in materials and would last quite well. Using planed softwood 90-95mm wide only needs 4 cuts to be square and 2 of those 4 cuts to be accurate. The rest are sortable. Yes, it is difficult to start but not that difficult, given perseverence and knowing how simple it can be.

Regards, RAB

ekes

"A softwood eke is peanuts in materials and would last quite well. Using planed softwood 90-95mm wide only needs 4 cuts to be square and 2 of those 4 cuts to be accurate."

i couldn't agree more Rab - a 1.8m length of planed softwood from Homebase will be well under a tenner (probably less from a local wood yard/builders merchant) and apart from the 4 cuts all you need is a little glue and some screws. you can even buy tester size pots of wood preservative for a couple of quid.

Some wood from a pallet might be free, do the job, and last a couple of years or more. Wood from Homebase is a right rip-off IMO, Jewsons (ect) is a much better place.

Here is an example of the DIY for the well-off v Jewsons

100mm x 5mm (or may have been 6mm) screws.

Focus, £8.50 for 20 off.

Jewsons, a bit over a tenner for 100 off. May even have been under a tenner, I can't remember.

Not so much difference with wood, I suspect.

Regards, RAB

naked beekeeper i have two lengths of the wooden rails needed to make a brood box.... all you will need to do is get the ply cut and glue together. yours if you need. PM me :cheers2:

i want to give all you very nice people a hug !!

:iagree: I am sure it would be useful.

As I am pretty crxxp with carpentry, I bought a Fragile Planet hive and used it as a pattern. It worked a treat and I can now 'knock' them out pretty quickly
just dont ask me to change any measurments or cuts!
Cheers
S

drstitson,

i couldn't agree more Rab - a 1.8m length of planed softwood from Homebase will be well under a tenner

I just looked up F*cus for their prices - you get 4.8m of 22 x 100 (which finishes at about 19 x 95) for eleven quid. I, of course, would get my 10% OAP discount from that! Enough for 2 1/2 ekes. Mind you, I would still go to J*wson unless it was urgent/convenient, or on a Saturday pm or a Sunday.

Regards, RAB

getting wood satisfactorily

i'm rather stuck for my UK hivecraft as have very limited time outside of work and not willing to travel excessively for the sake of a few quid when i could be doing other things. plus we have a homebase literally a stones throw from apiary!!!!! if jewsons were nearby i'd use them.

Latest posts

Back