Another heads up jam maker

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing in Lidl in these ere parts

I have a Lidl jam maker, now two years old. Jolly good for the price.
Cazza

Lidl's offers are store/ region specific.
The offer may not have reached your local store yet but it will, assuming it sold well elsewhere.

Tim

What is so special about a jam maker, just curious as I use the old fashion method boil in a saucepan until it reaches the right temperature

What is so special about a jam maker, just curious as I use the old fashion method boil in a saucepan until it reaches the right temperature

"Jam maker" is a very curious title for what is essentially an enamelled tea-urn.
It has a thermostat (regrettably a fancy electronic one nowadays - the old mechanical one was easy to supplement with a truly fancy electronic control!)
It makes a useful waterbath for honey treatment.

And the Lidl product bears an extraordinary similarity to the expensive Kochstar product family in Thorn's catalogue ...

"Jam maker" is a very curious title for what is essentially an enamelled tea-urn.

If it is the one I looked at , it is no good for making jam . If you want jam to set it has to reach 104/105 degrees , according to the specs it only reaches 100 degrees . It is more like a continental fruit preserver , where fruit is bottled in jars similar to Kilner jars .

"according to the specs it only reaches 100 degrees "

that's because it is intended for boiling water - little point going hotter!

Never said I used it for making jam!
I use it as a honey warmer/mulled wine heater/soup heater/hot water boiler.

Cazza

How much mulled wine/ soup do you need? :)

I think I remember it being mentioned last year on another forum and we came to the conclusion it wasn't going to help make jam at all.

Sorry , i have just spotted the plan .

Here dearest , an early xmas present :xmas-smiley-013: , you always wanted a jam maker for all that extra fruit we have . Best to have it now rather than xmas so you can use it now .
Oh dear , does it not make Jam ! It did say preserve maker on the box , never mind i can use it on the honey , so it will not be wasted .

Sorry , i have just spotted the plan .

Here dearest , an early xmas present :xmas-smiley-013: , you always wanted a jam maker for all that extra fruit we have . Best to have it now rather than xmas so you can use it now .
Oh dear , does it not make Jam ! It did say preserve maker on the box , never mind i can use it on the honey , so it will not be wasted .

That is sooooooo shallow!!!

Apparently the thermostat on the Kochstars are more accurate.

However, the Lidls are good for clearing honey and they arr called jam makers because you can preserve fruit thr Coninental way.

Seven Kings Apiary

However, the Lidls are good for clearing honey and they arr called jam makers because you can preserve fruit thr Coninental way.

Seven Kings Apiary

Maybe they should call them 'confiture makers'?

I have today made some blackberry jam and some whimberry jam.

Back