Small Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmonag

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
I have been happily watching my bees come and go today in the calm, mild spell we are having. I notice that one colony has bees that are noticably smaller than all the others.
I use a lot of foundationless frames so the bees can build natural comb of whatever type and size they want. They are local mongrels but quite dark.

Any thoughts?

Did you measure the bees?

I ask because some bees have more hairs then others and that makes them appear bigger/smaller.

No I did not measure them but they are definately small, but perfect in every other way! I just wondered if anyone had a theory as to why they are small or if they feel small bees might perform differently in any way.

OK I'm going to run with this. The bee on the left is one of the small ones compared with one from each other colony. I think the abdomen is smaller. It is subtle but more noticeable when alive.

I think I have too much time ATM!

Attachments

• IMG_8527.JPG
    IMG_8527.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
I have a hive that I always refer to as the small one, not for the size of the hive but the bees seem smaller. I have never measured them. I am not sure if it is an optical illusion or not. Mine are very yellow compared with my other hives! Opposite to you.
E

OK I'm going to run with this. The bee on the left is one of the small ones compared with one from each other colony. I think the abdomen is smaller. It is subtle but more noticeable when alive.

I think I have too much time ATM!

Nope...it's well proven that size of the bee is determined by the the size of cell it emerges from. As comb gets older the cell gets smaller and so do the bees...not by much but enough to be measurable.. Perhaps you need to measure comb size and see if smaller. in that hive
Quite interesting observation.

:winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:

Me Too our native Cornish bees are big and black and therefore produce much more honey than little yellow ones!

But if you take big yellow bees. What happens!

That is true, that fat big bees bring more honey, because their belly is full, when they come back to home.

Last edited:
Back