Candipollene gold

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi I have some 1/2 kg packs of candipollene gold that I got given when buying some 2nd hand nucs off fleabay. They went out of date Aug18

My question is am I ok using it as the bags are still sealed? When do you add it yo hives and is it any good and worth using?

Thanks

Should be absolutely fine to use. However , they are nothing more than very , very expensive fondant.
So use them if you think your colonies are low on stores

Hi I have some 1/2 kg packs of candipollene gold that I got given when buying some 2nd hand nucs off fleabay. They went out of date Aug18

My question is am I ok using it as the bags are still sealed? When do you add it yo hives and is it any good and worth using?

Thanks

It's only fondant with food colouring, so it won't go off, is it any good? depends whether you want to feed your bees fondant or not

Wyefield Apiaries © 2019. All rights reserved. Cookies & Privacy Policy | Terms of Use View Web Design
Home
About Us
Products
Stockists
Find Us
Contact Us
01874 754412 Main UK Distributors of BELGOSUC BEE FOODS, INVERTBEE SYRUP & FONDABEE CANDY Wyefield Apiaries Home Wyefield Apiaries

Developed and produced in Italy by Enolapi the sterilised pollen portion of this product supplies the protein element in addition to the carbohydrate element derived from the fondant of this bee food. Candipolline Gold is very useful in early spring particularly to prevent isolation starvation and when the bees are unable to go out to forage for the pollens of our own nature plants during inclement weather whilst the spring brood in the hive is rapidly developing. We have used Candipolline Gold in conjunction with Belgosuc Fondabee over the past five years with great success and particularly in springs when the weather has been very variable.

From Wyefield.....

Composition
Beet sugar (sucrose) sugar syrup, pollen, caseinate , allumen, glycerine, vitamins E300, L asorbic acid (vitamin C) 400IU/kg.

Beet sugar fondant with added pollen.....

I use it in mating nucs.

Best before... use by.... should there be a do not use after date?

How many percent pollen / protein ?

Added egg an milk protein too.

Last edited:
How many percent pollen ?

Analytic Constitutions:

Sugar 93.35%

Crude Fibre <1.5%

Crude Ashes <0.5%

Crude Protein 1.38%

Crude Oil & Fat <0.25%

Calcium 45mg/kg

Phosphorous 108mg/kg

Sodium 57mg/kg

Methionne <LQ

Lysme <LQ

Not a lot.... 3 ~ 5% maybee... state it?... they do not!
:calmdown:

We use it in mating nucs and queen cages after finding queens stuck to ambrosia in both of these things. Candipollene gold is not as sticky as ambrosia, and the bees in our Kieler mating nucs do well on it. We bought some out of date candipollene last year and it was fine, in fact we will be using the rest of it this season. Unless we are talking about medicine I have a healthy disregard for best before dates.

We are lucky to have a friendly local baker that will order baker's fondant for us and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than ambrosia, but it is still too sticky for me to want to put it in queen cages or mating nucs. We use the baker's fondant for insurance in case colonies run low on stores, but we don't often need to put it on.

if you want to clean fondant up a bit or stop it being so sticky then just roll it around in some icing sugar in your hand or bowl, until you get it right.Then at least you can use it for plugs in cages, am obviously talking about a small ball of the stuff not 12.5kg

We use it in mating nucs and queen cages after finding queens stuck to ambrosia in both of these things. Candipollene gold is not as sticky as ambrosia, and the bees in our Kieler mating nucs do well on it. We bought some out of date candipollene last year and it was fine, in fact we will be using the rest of it this season. Unless we are talking about medicine I have a healthy disregard for best before dates.

Quote from Dave Cushman
I gave up using candy as a release agent for queens in 1996 and use marshmallow

In fairness you are more likely to eat all the marshmellows before you get there though

Any marshmallows brought into this house would definitely get eaten before they got anywhere near queen cages ( same as the jelly babies and mars bars that were bought to bait mousetraps) !

We have mixed the fondant with icing sugar to make it firmer, but it is just a lot quicker to use candipollene. We are always a bit hectic here, especially as our youngest's primary school always packs a load of things into the last month of the Summer term.

any advantage in mixing some pollen sub like ultra bee with the normal fondant

Latest posts

Back