Zapping Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The idea is not to wipe out varroa....which you will never do....but to leave tolerable levels.

Would you really feel comfortable with assaulting the colony so often?

How about if somebody comes and pokes you every hour while you are asleep to see if you are still alive for the next couple of months?

Newbie question. Why don't mites become resistant to Oxalic acid?

Empirical experience shows that repeated sublimation of oxalic acid is ineffective. Very recent scientific literature reported that varroa MAY become resistant to oxalic acid through the acquisition of oxalotrophic bacteria.
So, while oxalic acid is still effective overall, it may be wise not to exceed in its use.
Maddmax

I don't know about empirical experience but a quick look revealed
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26302038

SIGNIFICANCE AND IMPACT OF THE STUDY:
Oxalic acid, legally or brevi manu, is widely used to control phoretic Varroa destructor mites, a major drive of current honey bees' colony losses. Unsubstantiated by sanctioned research are rumours that in certain instances oxalic acid is losing efficacy, forcing beekeepers to increase the frequency of treatments. This investigation fathoms the hypothesis that V. destructor associates with bacteria capable of degrading oxalic acid. The data show that indeed oxalotrophy, a rare trait among bacteria, is common in bacteria that we isolated from V. destructor mites. This finding may have ramifications in the use of oxalic acid as a control agent.

If Oxcalic acid apparently does not harm bees why can we not just gas them every week or every 2 weeks from now until spring, that would surely wipe out Varroa in a lot of colonies. Bee yards.. ;)

...and remember to roll the R.....he he he

I was always told that ladies who roll their R's.....were no ladies! ;-)

Ah...but then it was all men who had Bee Yards in Georgia...so rolling "R" s was their thang!...as was "Ya'all come back now" ....but they meant it.

Which is why beekeepers should take all reasonable precautions when vaping........................

Grow a longer beard!

That could be a bit tricky! Would a false beard do the same job?

Because the vapour crystallises on the mites and physically damages them.
It's not a poison
Not exactly so… I can`t recall for sure…I think it`s an An Bachaire where I read that oxalic acid simply melts down mites mandibles so that mites won`t be able to pierce bee`s [FONT=&quot]cuticle…the info needs to be confirmed though.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Not exactly so… I can`t recall for sure…I think it`s an An Bachaire where I read that oxalic acid simply melts down mites mandibles so that mites won`t be able to pierce bee`s [FONT=&quot]cuticle…the info needs to be confirmed though.[/FONT]

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I think having one's mandibles (or any other part of one's body for that matter) melted can be classed as physical damage. Or am I missing something?

That doesn't explain why 10 minutes after vaping there are dead mites on the inspection board.
Do they starve to death that quickly?

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I think having one's mandibles (or any other part of one's body for that matter) melted can be classed as physical damage. Or am I missing something?

:icon_204-2:
You took the words out of my mandibles.

Latest posts

Back