Young bee's taking orientation flights..

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Curly green fingers

Hi one of the hives in the garden is on day two of mass bee's taking orientation flights..
My question is how many days will they do this before they become forager's .
Thanks
Mark..
As I'm on holiday I'm spending alot of time watching the entrances. Sat right next to the hives while this is happening with no suit on bee's landing on me but only to take a breather.

At the moment you will probably have hundreds of new bees emerging daily so that will follow through to orientation once they are happy with the “view” of home they won’t do it for as long any more other than if they get shut in by foul weather for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Home bees eate lots of pollen when they make larva milk.
They must empty their gut every now and then. Yes, bees do poo flights a lot.

Lot of research has shown that these "mass flights" are not young bees orienteering flights. Mainly comprised of older bees.
I'll post references if anyone cares.

Late Easter quiz....on average how many foraging flights do mature bees make per day?

Lot of research has shown that these "mass flights" are not young bees orienteering flights. Mainly comprised of older bees.

Late Easter quiz....on average how many foraging flights do mature bees make per day?

I care pls post refs .
Quiz answer anyone?? I could find out but children are a calling thanks everyone for the posts as always..

Not going to type references out toniught....
Treat yourself to a copy of "The Honey Factory: Inside the ingenious world of bees" by Jurgen Tautz (Author), Diedrich Steen (Author).

All is revealed in an almost too simplistic style...includes all relevant references.

Foraging flights per bee per day approx 3.

Not going to type references out toniught....
Treat yourself to a copy of "The Honey Factory: Inside the ingenious world of bees" by Jurgen Tautz (Author), Diedrich Steen (Author).

All is revealed in an almost too simplistic style...includes all relevant references.

I've got a Tautz book buzz about bee's looks like him and Sealy are at the forefront of modern beekeeping these days .
Good night..

?

We should have different doors to different ages to know that researchers are right.

Lot of research has shown that these "mass flights" are not young bees orienteering flights.
Mainly comprised of older bees.

If it is a published study I'd be interested as my experience is quietly different.
And these "My beekeeping Life" books I've had a gutfull of.

Snap Quiz answer is;
Depends on whether the colony is in a Daylight Saving Zone - or not.
/grinz/

Bill

Not a very enlightening answer. Tell us more. Is that per forager or per bee of the hive population. There are times when foragers are considerably outnumbered by young bees, nurse bees, and sentries, etc.

What does he include as “foraging”? Nectar only, pollen or even water?

Is that an average for the whole year or just the days they are actually able to forage? What distance from the hive does that ‘average’ relate to.

As I see it, a glibly stated average is just about useless for any particular situation - think here, hives stood on the edge of borage, or moved from one crop to anotherrather than left static. Perhaps he is referring to natural hives, not managed ones?

Tell us a lot more than a simplistic answer that means nothing. ‘About three” is a numpty sort of statistic - it could be between 1 and five and still be “about three”. His variability of any result could be -50% or plus 100% quite easily - and then only when parameters are defined.

Last edited:
I shall treat your rather curt reply with the contempt it deserves.
Now you lazy sod get off yer fat backside and do some reading for yourself instead of asking to be spoon fed.

I have counted sometimes foraging time from good nectar plants lika Aconitum and Blue berrry bush. One round took 2,5 minutes.

If a forager makes 3 foraging trips in a day, I should know, how much the hive got honey in a day, how many boxes the hive had.

The same hive can get 1 kg honey in a day, 3 kg or 5 kg.
5 kg means that pasture is quite near. 1 kg may mean that pastures may be very far, 3 km away,

I mean, 3 forager trips mean nothing to me. The scientist make zero researching.

What I do with the information that a honeybee flaps its wings 240 times in a second and a mosquito 400 times in a second.

Last edited:
(edit)
Tell us a lot more than a simplistic answer that means nothing. ‘About three” is a numpty sort of statistic - it could be between 1 and five and still be “about three”. His variability of any result could be -50% or plus 100% quite easily - and then only when parameters are defined.

Tells me the authors have SFA grip on beelining.
From recall even Seeley's work on triangulation came up with
way more than three.

Bill

Question was only that youg bees/home bees come out. And then started a huge debate about that huge miracle. It would be a miracle if they do not come out.

Even research is needed.

To watch those poo bees is a nuisance. You get easily poo onto your head or onto clothes. Stay out from your hives at special time of day.

Question was only that youg bees/home bees come out. And then started a huge debate about that huge miracle. It would be a miracle if they do not come out.

Even research is needed.

To watch those poo bees is a nuisance. You get easily poo onto your head or onto clothes. Stay out from your hives at special time of day.

The thing is finman I didnt notice any poop unless they were flying out of view then doing it..
I agree when orientation flights are happening stay out of the hives it only lasts for no more than 30 mins..

The thing is finman I didnt notice any poop unless they were flying out of view then doing it..
I agree when orientation flights are happening stay out of the hives it only lasts for no more than 30 mins..

I have seen orientation flights 55 years. You can see how full their abdomen is when they come out and they come back with small abdomen. They go to some toalet to execute their affair.

Nothing strange in it.

Latest posts

Back