Working the brood box?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I understand the concept of "Working the brood box"

• Never heard of working the brood box.

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • I know precisely what this means. (I hope)

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Just a quick poll to see if some work is worthwhile.

PH

Theres a good bit in one of my books about this, i think.
T hooper, explains that by moving the brood frames to get the Queen to use more of the frames. Is that what is ment by this ?
If not then i voted wrong lol

Could we have a third option- I've got an idea what it means?

Ah! I answered No as i haven't heard the expression- but reading the 2nd post- I do it - so oops voted wrongly.. soz.

I voted no,

I've heard the term and I've read Hooper regarding spreading the brood which I sort of understand but I'm not sure if I'll experiment just yet.

I believe PH was referring to working the brood to use/remove thymolised stores left over from the winter as discussed on this thread
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8805
but I stand to be corrected.

I for one would welcome one on PH's missives on this subject :)

OOOOOOPs i voted wrong aswell as i have never heard of the saying but i do the working the brood box oh well back to my cup of tea :seeya:

Umm no... not this matter. You might call it part 2...

PH

Heard of it, and would like to try it. But I get a bit confused between the arguments for keeping the brood nicely together, and putting in new frames. By the way, do the new frames have to be drawn? Or will foundation do?

Heard of it, and would like to try it. But I get a bit confused between the arguments for keeping the brood nicely together, and putting in new frames. By the way, do the new frames have to be drawn? Or will foundation do?

I can understand your confusion, Some people also advocate that one super of honey is left for the bees to over winter on . . . .:)

Work the box, stretch the bees so that they have work to do, don't leave full supers on the colony and strip the brood box of full honey frames before feeding syrup in the autumn.

Latest posts

Back