Woodworm & Cuprinol safety issues

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Riviera Kid

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just read that after reformulation Cuprinol now no longer recommend their "Clear" insecitcide-free product for beehives (See the quote from their website below). I have just retreated all my stuff with it!!

I have also discovered woodworm on the outer side bars of two supers. No idea on how long it's been there but I don't recall seeing it there last autumn.

Any suggestions how to treat it?

Due to EU legislation Cuprinol has had to change the active ingredients which are used in its wood preservers. New formulations have not been tested for use on beehives and as a result Cuprinol cannot recommend any of its wood preservers on beehives.

It has also been known for woodworm to attack beehives. Do not use any wood preservers that contain insecticides (e.g. Cuprinol Woodworm Killer or Cuprinol 5 Star Complete Wood Treatment) as these are likely to be harmful to bees.

the info has been on cuprinol website for over a year i think.

interesting that BBKA newsletter only mentioned it now!

I hadn't seen it until today - I don't tend to spend my time online surfing the cuprinol website ;)

The only reason that I went on there was 'cos of the woodworm and I wanted to see if there was anything that I could use...

For wood preservation I think I am just going to change to linseed oil to be safe.

"I hadn't seen it until today - I don't tend to spend my time online surfing the cuprinol website"

neither do i - has been widely publicised on BBKA and BK fora (and elsewhere eg local associations) since at least may last year.

Search for "Cuprinol clear" on this forum - there was a thread or three devoted to it last year and they noted that rather than adding chemicals to Cuprinol Clear, the company actually removed one or two.

I have treated 9 supers I made recently and several bait hives with Cuprinol Clear and for now am happy to continue to use it.

I thought the BBKA newsletter note was possibly very carefully worded - I took it to mean that Cuprinol are now selling a product containing chemicals that doesn't tally with the regulatory documents they have submitted for it and that the BBKA are pursuing this.

"I hadn't seen it until today - I don't tend to spend my time online surfing the cuprinol website"

neither do i - has been widely publicised on BBKA and BK fora (and elsewhere eg local associations) since at least may last year.

Yes, if the info has been around that long I suppose I should have seen it. I did try searching on cuprinol on here but was doing it quickly and didn't go through the hits very thoroughly.

Latest posts

Back