Winter treatments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeb123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Could people please let me know what Verroa treatment they use and what times they apply them so I can get an understand for when I come to my first winter

Many thanks

The modern convention is for a Thymol-based treatment (like Apiguard) starting sometime in August, and when they are broodless in mid-winter (Christmas/NewYear) an Oxalic Acid treatment.

For the small-scale hobbyist, Oxalic in the form of Trickle2 measuring bottles makes massive sense. At about £1.50 per hive it is hard to call it expensive.
Don't buy it early - it has a short shelf life.

Other options are available. That is the middle-of-the-road.

Itma's advice is very best.

Timing is important, that mites do not violate the brood which will became to cluster bees.

-

None. I leave the bees in peace from clustering to spring expansion. Not applied any winter treatment for the last six or seven years. The important treatment is to rid the bees of the parasite just before the winter bee production is initiated.

None. I leave the bees in peace from clustering to spring expansion. Not applied any winter treatment for the last six or seven years. The important treatment is to rid the bees of the parasite just before the winter bee production is initiated.

But you do a Thymol based autumn one -Yes?

I treat with Hivemaker's recipe in Autumn .. and then nothing. Never a winter treatment.

Mite drop has been minimal since 2011.. less than 1/day.

I treat with Hivemaker's recipe in Autumn .. and then nothing. Never a winter treatment.

Mite drop has been minimal since 2011.. less than 1/day.

If you mean thymol syrup, it is not for mites. It is for nosema.
Or what is the Hivemakers recipe?

The modern convention is for a Thymol-based treatment (like Apiguard) starting sometime in August, and when they are broodless in mid-winter (Christmas/NewYear) an Oxalic Acid treatment.

I will be taking some of my colonies to the heather shortly so when do I treat?!

If you mean thymol syrup, it is not for mites. It is for nosema.

He doesn't. He means exactly what he wrote!

This thread is about varroa treatments. I don't use Hivemaker's method, but mine is 'similar'. Done properly it works a treat.

Thymol syrup is given as part o the winter feed regime! The concentration of thymol isn't sufficient to be effective as a varroacide!
Hive makers recipe is akin to api guard but using veg oil rather than the carrier used by api guard!

VM

Oh, well. We say it how to make DIY thymol pads.

We use kitchen towel to suck the stuff.

Honey Paw;

Commercial Thymol pad

Mesimestari acquired the Finnish pesticide license for thymol in 2002 and has since been delivering it to beekeepers of this country under the brand name Honey Paw Tymoltyyny. The last word is Finnish that translates to “thymol pad”. One thymol pad contains 12 grams of thymol. Per one Langstroth box you need one pad. By autumn 2011 we start shipping a Thymol pad that is suited for a two-box Farrar hive.

10 thymol pads, £ 9.50 (our price) one pad to one box hive and 2 pads for 2 box hive.

-

Last edited:
Is it a bad idea to give 2 doses of thymol ie Apiguard and then thymol-syrup? Problem with using the Apiguard is the timing. If I take supers off to treat some crop will be lost, too late and the temps will be too low for the chemical to evaporate.

Ah Hawklord!

This is one of those imponderables which will be discussed here ad nauseam in the next few weeks.

The old lags will advise you from their experience soon.
But methinks there's plenty of time yet, to think this through.

Dusty

Ah Hawklord!

This is one of those imponderables which will be discussed here ad nauseam in the next few weeks.

The old lags will advise you from their experience soon.
But methinks there's plenty of time yet, to think this through.

Dusty

And arrive at a well considered, well advised, well thought out and complete indecision !!

On the contrary.

Each beekeeper will make their own decision (even if that is indecision) based on their own bees, circumstances and anxieties.

Seems to me there are precious few definitive answers in beekeeping.
Which adds to its richness and diversity.

The only certainty is uncertainty.
To think otherwise is a primitive defence against anxiety.

Dusty

Latest posts

Back