Wind !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengumbo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Its a bit windy out.

Hope everyones hives are safe. Mine face east so I hope the wind is not chilling them. Strapped them down last night nice and tight.

60 - 70 mph gusts in the east of Scotland at the moment.

Yes, I was out looking for possible out apiary sites yesterday.
I came across a group of six hives on the edge of a large field.
There was a good hedge but all the entrances faced into the field with the prevailing wind blowing straight at them.
They may well have been empty, the entrances had not been reduced at all.

Windy here, too - straps on hives 2 days ago :)

There was a good hedge but all the entrances faced into the field with the prevailing wind blowing straight at them.

The entrance on mine is reduced but I'm tempted to turn the hive 90 degrees to face out the wind.

Since I only have 7 frames in the brood box (poly , dummied well) I might move the entrance hole to the "empty" side of the box to reduce wind howling through as well.

Just a thought... what happens when the wind change's, do you change the position of the hives again. In the wild the bees don't change the direction of the entrance.
regards
Steven

I'm not advocating moving the hives with changes in wind direction.
It just seemed strange not to take advantage of the natural windbreak offered by the hedge.
All comments greatfully recieved. (what do I know, I'm new to this!)not worthy

Just a thought... what happens when the wind change's, do you change the position of the hives again. In the wild the bees don't change the direction of the entrance.
regards
Steven

That's got me wondering if bees in their natural environment choose a site on the leeward side?
Anybody know?

We had a serious storm Sunday night, neighbours' gazebo all over the place and the metal supports were twisted with the force of the wind. We were worried for our bees in the next field, but the hedges and trees seems to have protected them. Bit of activity between the rain so thinking we might have to feed them - ivy was just about to flower!

I was just going to turn mine until the wind dies down tonight then reposition it back again. Its not like the bees will be out in this !

Same here . Community Council going around pickling up the fallen branches . The first part of the storm hit Sunday night at 20:00 then it quieten down , then whallop , 04:00 next morning all hell broke loose . I will hug the guy who suggested Hurricane straps over the Polytunnel . The Girls are half way down the valley so protected virtual from every direction , next morning went to check them , still flying and bringing in loads of ivy pollen , completely ignoring the 20mph wind that was blowing . They really do like the ivy and our cosmos .

I was just going to turn mine until the wind dies down tonight then reposition it back again. Its not like the bees will be out in this !

In that case, why not shelter the entrance, may save a bad back.
Steven

When the hives where placed, it could have been the wind was coming from the other way. Whats behind the hedge? and they may be empty anyway. Go back during better weather and see. It's good to plan an apiary site taking in all aspects, sun on entrance in the morining would not be so good in the winter with snow on the ground, but would get a good start in the spring etc. which way to face the hive is important. Hope you find a good site soon.
regards
Steven

Latest posts

Back