width of super frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i know some use spacers and increase space between super frames to allow greater width and more efficiency of cell drawing for bees, honey storage and efficiency of uncapping etc

do people do this using hoffman and just 'by eye'?

and if so...circa 11 down to 8?

The basics I've been told is let them draw a full super out then space....

I've used metal frame spacers, now have 9 frames to a super.

i know some use spacers and increase space between super frames to allow greater width and more efficiency of cell drawing for bees, honey storage and efficiency of uncapping etc

do people do this using hoffman and just 'by eye'?

and if so...circa 11 down to 8?

I used Hoffman’s when it was foundation. Next year I used metal castellated so they made them thicker was told to do it that way as it keeps them straighter.

What are these numbers?.... number of frames? If so, you can reduce only -1, from 11 to 10.

I look with eyes .

Ummmmm... not so, quite the thing here and in the USA to run
8/10 in FD Langs as supering - delivers more with less.
Honey is not our thing as such but we follow 8/10 in building
"fatcomb" as cutcomb.

Bill

The way way to do it is to use the wide spacers. To start with you overlap them, that gives you normal width comb, then when they are drawn and being filled you but the spacers end to end giving you the fat comb. The extra ones out of the box go in a new box above with new frames which get overlapped again. To be honest it isn't worth the faf and makes extraction more messy. I used to do it but I don't bother now
E

With more than 36mm between frame centres there is an increased risk of burr comb, and as Enrico says fatter combs are more fragile in an extractor.

Ummmmm... not so, quite the thing here and in the USA to run
8/10 in FD Langs as supering - delivers more with less.
Honey is not our thing as such but we follow 8/10 in building
"fatcomb" as cutcomb.

Bill

I have tried 8/10 in supers . In extracting the cell tubes will be crushed. wonder how efficient it is to bees to work in tunnels

And if you use combs in brooding smuut destroy esite a not combs.

A bad idea.

I have tried 8/10 in supers . In extracting the cell tubes will be crushed. wonder how efficient it is to bees to work in tunnels

And if you use combs in brooding smuut destroy esite a not combs.

A bad idea.

Coming at it from the c'mrcl angle Finny, where you adapt
or go broke... hobbyists...?... well I guess what works is good
enough.

Bill

yes frames

someone told me yesterday they include 8 frames rather than 11 in super to make them fatter etc

The Guy can not think anything else than the most fat combs. Beekeeping does not work around one idea. It does not just work.

Beekeeping is full of "tellers".

Coming at it from the c'mrcl angle Finny, where you adapt
or go broke... hobbyists...?... well I guess what works is good
enough.

Bill

Well I have tried it.
Bad idea.

And everyone can try it himself. Not difficult to put less frames from box. Go for it!

Well I have tried it.
Bad idea.
And everyone can try it himself. Not difficult to put less frames from box. Go for it!
"everyone can try it"... IF the flow is on.
We do it...as do thousands of others.
Good Idea.. Heh
/grinz/

Bill

Latest posts

Back