Why no spring expansion?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugmitch

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
:rolleyes:Newbie here so please be gentle all you experts!

Got a nuc last June; built up well despite the poor weather.....must have been all that feeding I did. Ended up in August with bees across some seven frame with all foundation drawn out. Did the varroa treatment and fed until bursting at the seams.

Got through winter with bees across four frames and I was thinking what a smart cookie I was at the end of March. Looking forward to spring expansion and possibly some honey this year. Since when......nothing. Queen has been seen on every inspection but now only two frames of brood.......seems as if She is going backwards. Bees seen in all stages but no expansion. No sign of disease and loads of activity with pollen stores and nectar being brought in.

Is it me being impatient or is my queen just marking time! At this rate I'll be worse off than when I started.

Sorry to ask a stupid question.....but do I persevere or re queen?

It could be Nosema Ceranae this can affect the queen as well as the workers with little or no outward symptoms, other than poor build up in the spring.

It will be a good thing to test a sample to confirm one way or the other.

Check for diseases especially varroa and if all good try and get a frame of emerging brood from someone

She could be in decline or late starter but with all the stores etc coming in, does she have room to lay?

A couple of possibilities spring to mind. The first one would be (remembering the cool weather we've had this spring) is are your bees able to keep the brood warm enough? Have you insulated your roof? How many boxes are they on? Sounds like they should only be a brood box atm. Second thought would be is the Queen OK?

I'm sure that more experienced people will be along soon to comment, but these would be my initial thoughts.

If they've not started Q cells the "hive" seem to think she's OK and it has been the worst Spring in years, so now the good weather's arrived she just might kick into gear. If no visible increase in laying by next w/e consider buying in a mated Q and replace her.
good luck!
richard

Is there any empty brood comb or is it all full of stores?

My queens were all only marking time until about two weeks ago but are now laying like crazy. If you have sufficient bees adding a frame of near emerging brood, if you can get one, would help. Like TB above I would also suggest you get your association microscopist to check for Nosema. It is warming up this week so she should really get going now.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I haven't seen any signs of Nosema....no defecating inside hive, no stains outside etc. Hive is one brood box with plenty of room to lay. Have seen the queen several times and she seems active enough......one interesting thing is that although sold to me as a 2012 queen with her being marked yellow......on inspection this year the mark has changed to white! Eek! Has the old mark faded or the new mark fell off......oh what a cynic I am.......no names or pack drill but any replacement won't be from the same source......caveat emptor!

Thanks again for the advice.......all down to experience no doubt!

Even a wht marked queen should be laying fine now

Cold weather has been holding them back but as others have said check Nosema.

Colin

Thanks for all the replies so far. I haven't seen any signs of Nosema....no defecating inside hive, no stains outside etc. Hive is one brood box with plenty of room to lay. Have seen the queen several times and she seems active enough......one interesting thing is that although sold to me as a 2012 queen with her being marked yellow......on inspection this year the mark has changed to white! Eek! Has the old mark faded or the new mark fell off......oh what a cynic I am.......no names or pack drill but any replacement won't be from the same source......caveat emptor!

Thanks again for the advice.......all down to experience no doubt!

Two different types of Nosema, Nosema Apis and Nosema Ceranae the latter has no obvious signs such as staining on the frames and can affect the queen making her sick. Both types of nosema have one common symptom, slow build up in spring and beyond.

Back