Why do my bees use the hot tub

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB008

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have two hives in my garden, right next to two ponds with easy access to water without drwoning. Despite this they insist on using my hot tub for their water supplies. I have blocked all gaps with rags but they still congregate there trying to gain access which is a mystery as the water contains chemicals and is naturally hot. I have also put out water right by the hives but they ignore that and return to the hot tub.

I would prefer a hot tub to a manky old pond with 'bits' floating in it!

I think you've proved it: That bees prefer to collect water which is of the highest temperature.

Bees seem to ignore water sources too close to hives, last year I tried with a source close to the hives and still they went elsewhere so this year I setup my source further away and bingo they found it and use it regularly.

I also heard that it's important to get the water source set up early in the year as once they find a source they will always return to it wilst there is water to be had.

They are supporting the BBKA in the use of bee freindly chemicals.

Mine have a choice of a pond or a salt water swimming pool and use both.

Set up a new water source for the bees, and near the old water source have some rags with creosote on, bees wont go near creosote, hopefully they will move to the new water source.
They should switch

Mine always seem to go for the hose and tap near the back door despite there being two bird baths and a tray of water that I put out just for the bees closer to the hive.
Some of the bees even go inside the hose to get water.

Latest posts

Back