Which Sort?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
What make of bees are these please?

Nasenov fanning bees?

Great British Mongrels.

I'll go with that ! :)
More than three thousand posts leads me to believe the question deserves a candid response to which particular subspecies the bees belong to , if anyone knows?
VM

Would guess 2 or three seasons back may have been Italian, now heading towards pure British Street bees (cross-bred natives). Nice picture!

Looking closely I now know where my long lost plug spanner is..

Great British Mongrels.

Look very like Ligurian crosses.... only nuclear DNA microsatellite testing could define the mix, although wing morphometry plus a few other measurements, overhair length, proboscis length.... would put them in the correct ball park !

Look a bit like my NZ Italians !

If they are nice bees ... keep them !!

Hi D I have collected two lots like that this year they are very gentle but we will soon change that you know what my AMM's are like. Robbie

Put them on the roof at Derriford.... and use them to make up nucs for the BIPCo Amms?

( That' the nice gentle Cornish Amms that can be handled without smoke or even a full beesuit !)

Had interesting skype messaging session with OH yesterday - swarm had set up home in bait hive (nearest house - typical) and she was wondering where they were from - asked me various questions about what mine were like and then described the newbies as "big, yellow and fast"

after checking that she wasn't confusing them with wasps and assured not there was a pause followed by "i am looking at them through binoculars so that may influence my assessment!!!"

(she's seriously allergic so not risking getting any closer than she accidently did when discovering the occupants whilst rescuing a chick in distress)

Latest posts

Back