Which hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read it along with most of your post 45% maybe meaningful the rest not, why not keep it to off topic section? :thanks:

Nope, been here for years. :facts: Majority of the time its pointless commenting, just thought it was a appropriate due to what admin has pointed out. To be honest only a handful of useful contributors, generally not the ones that have 10's thousands of post counts they clearly have nothing better to do with their time and like the sound of their own voice. Back to reading through loads of rubbish posts for me and I'll probably won't be contributing, better things to be doing with my time than getting into pointless posting unlike some people. :) :ohthedrama:

Lurked for years and finally snapped?
Nah, don't buy that, sorry.

What has this got to do with beekeeping or hives?
Yet another thread gone completely off topic for no apparent reason.

:offtopic:

Yes ... but you see, in amongst all the off topic bits these are still people who take time to contribute very sensible (if diverse) suggestions and ideas that the OP can consider ... a thread that started only this morning already has at least 10 good suggestions for the OP .. and a bit of banter and humour ... on a topic/question that has been asked on here (to my knowledge) at least 20 or 30 times. Over 300 views already and 21 posts in total ... we are doing something right ?

Before you complain too much ... just think of the people who contribute - as well as those who just read ... because - without them .. there would not be an awful lot to read.

Who was it who said ' You can please some of the people some of the time, you can even please some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time' ... I'll settle for what we have at present.

I use Nationals because that is what my local association told me I should have. I'm happy with them. I also keep a top bar hive but I'm still learning how to manage it. I was given it as a gift but I wouldn't have wanted to start with one although learning something new is always good.

I thought this forum was generally quite good at staying on topic. If you really want to see a forum that goes off topic try the Motorcycle News forum. Fast and furious banter with the occasional reference to bikes. Still good fun though.

I have a good line in open toed sandals, kaftans and leather cowboy hats they're next to the beotards and legwarmers opposite the magic fairy dust shelf in the Brynmair alternative beehaving emporium :D
(sorry jbm this isn't personal)

Pargyle, you really think this is helpful to a possible new beekeeping and encouraging to someone who has just joined the forum?
:banghead:

Lurked for years and finally snapped?
Nah, don't buy that, sorry.
:chillpill: :rolleyes:

Yes ... but you see, in amongst all the off topic bits these are still people who take time to contribute very sensible (if diverse) suggestions and ideas that the OP can consider ... a thread that started only this morning already has at least 10 good suggestions for the OP .. and a bit of banter and humour ... on a topic/question that has been asked on here (to my knowledge) at least 20 or 30 times. Over 300 views already and 21 posts in total ... we are doing something right ?

Before you complain too much ... just think of the people who contribute - as well as those who just read ... because - without them .. there would not be an awful lot to read.

Who was it who said ' You can please some of the people some of the time, you can even please some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time' ... I'll settle for what we have at present.

26 posts so far, lucky if 12 are relevant...read my above comment.

I think they should be a over 80's section on here for grumpy people who can talk about knitting and bowls till there hearts are content.
Another irrelevant post, I'd be very very surprised if you're not older than me!

Been great banter folks, like I said earlier I'll not be posting for the sake of it.
Sorry for seemingly having hijacked your thread Silverbone.
:seeya:

one with a thermal conductance below 1 watt per degree centigrade. It means the bees can thermally recover faster from your mistakes as you learn, and they wont be so sensitive to any small loss in numbers.

OK, I'm going :eek:ff topic: :sorry: don't shoot me
Derek, talking of insulation is there imidacloprid in PIR insulation?
Do you know....

We'll both be banned one day!
must think of an alternative username?
You'll have to change IP address too;)

Hives. I like poly. 14x12 if you have Carniolan, Italian or Buckfast bees. AMM ish ? then maybe a single National is enough

Last edited:
Pargyle, you really think this is helpful to a possible new beekeeping and encouraging to someone who has just joined the forum?

Actually ... if you kept up with the thread then I would not need to direct you to Post #17 ... Which I thought was quite helpful ?

Now .. where is you positive contribution to the OP's question ??

OK, I'm going :eek:ff topic: :sorry: don't shoot me
Derek, talking of insulation is there imidacloprid in PIR insulation?
Do you know....
yes I do, no there isnt.

The very low conductance comes from the gas in closed cells being cyclopentane.The leakage from the cells is infinestimal. And even after the little so and sos have been burrowing in to it I can discern no ill effects.

Actually ... if you kept up with the thread then I would not need to direct you to Post #17 ... Which I thought was quite helpful ?

Now .. where is you positive contribution to the OP's question ??

I think this thread really veered off topic starting with post#12.

Folks, this is the beginners part of the forum. :(

I am new to beekeeping always wanted to do it but never had the room, we are moving to a new house that has a 120ft garden (bonus) just in the process of joining the local club, but which hive would you all recommend for a complete beginner? I have been reading up on the traditional hive and also the poly hive, your comments and help would be really appreciated, thank you, Gary.
There's no 'beginners hive' as such, but a lot of beginners choose the same type of hive as the 'more experienced' members of their local association, and then change their minds a couple of years later which can be expensive.

It would be best to start off with a nucleus colony, learn to look after that colony as it grows, transferring it to a full sized hive in the summer. Next year you will need a second hive (set of boxes), because you're likely to have to split your overwintered colony as it will probably prepare to swarm next Spring.

In our local association the older beekeepers tend to use standard nationals and might even use 'brood and a half' or double brood. The newer beekeepers mostly use bigger brood boxes, and rarely need to add boxes for extra space.

I use poly Langstroths, can't imagine using wood. Poly hives are warm, and are mostly cheaper than wooden (cedar) hives. Plenty of beekeepers prefer wooden hives, and wouldn't consider using poly.

If you're thinking of the WBC as a 'traditional hive' and only want one or two in your garden then you shouldn't have any problems, unless you're tall because using WBCs means a lot of bending and lifting fairly heavy weight from quite close to the ground. The WBC stand is part of the floor, and is only a few inches high. You also have to remove the 'lifts' (the outer shell of the hive) before you can get at the part where the bees live - so it's double the amount of work. They do look nice though.

yes I do, no there isnt.

The very low conductance comes from the gas in closed cells being cyclopentane.The leakage from the cells is infinestimal. And even after the little so and sos have been burrowing in to it I can discern no ill effects.

Thank you.
Somebody posted in BBKA FB that there might be

We started two years ago with standard nationals and have been very happy with them so far, but as our bees appear to be of Italian descent (they came from a swarm with unknown origin) I have recently started considering 14x12's as they can fill up a standard brood box with frightening speed once HM gets into the groove.

Our choice of nationals came about because our mentor had them already and recommended that we choose the 'local standard' in case we needed to borrow frames, boost brood etc to start with and then decide if another was better for our style and needs once we had enough experience to do so.

Despite looking seriously at other than nationals I still believe it was the correct choice for us to start with.

Hope this helps you decide.

Andy

And I toyed with a 14 x 12 for a few years and gave up - resorting to Nats - double brood if need be.
There are versions of Poly in both these sizes..

In reality there is a simple reason for choosing the poly route and that is the bees prefer it.

I spent a couple of hours some years ago watching a swarm choosing between two hives. Their scouts were zooming back and fore and bodies of bees left one to examine the other then suddenly the air turned black and the whole lot poured it's self into the poly. Both hives were the same size by the way. Poly was the only difference.

PH

And I toyed with a 14 x 12 for a few years and gave up - resorting to Nats - double brood if need be.
There are versions of Poly in both these sizes..

I run both, but am winding down the 14x12's. I love the latter, but kills the back...
I also run poly and wooden NUC's. I have had my overwintered poly NUC's nibbled in places, which has not happened noticeably to wood.

Whether it is cedar, softwood, poly, national, warre or Beehaus. Ultimately, they are a box of bees.

The most compatible are national. It is a good starting place and if you like, you could always change your mind later.

Starting up is expensive. Poly nationals are economical for a full hive, unless you are handy with woodwork, then you could build your own.

Back