Where to put sugar syrup bags

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pips

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
With all this wet weather, should I feed my young colonies? I used the Baggie method before (zip lock bag filled with sugar syrup and few slashes in top). This worked well, but I placed the bag on the crown board under the roof so as not to disturb the brood box whilst cold. Is this OK to put the bag on the crown board of will this attract robbers? My thoughts were robbers would not come out in the rain! Thanks

What is the stores position in the hives? You need to know this before you can answer your question.
I will not be feeding mine because I know how much they have in the way of stores.
Cazza

One hive has a super half full of supplies- this hive is not laying (the remains of a swarmed hive so am guessing queen is not at laying stage). One hive is brood box only, with about 5-6 frames of brood and capped honey. Waiting for a super to arrive for them- they are very active and busy. Both hives have foundation to draw out.

The one with a super - definitely no feeding (you'll end up with syrup in the honey anyway) the second, probably not - the fact there is capped stores in there tells me they have quite a bit to be going on with.

One hive has a super half full of supplies- this hive is not laying (the remains of a swarmed hive so am guessing queen is not at laying stage). One hive is brood box only, with about 5-6 frames of brood and capped honey. Waiting for a super to arrive for them- they are very active and busy. Both hives have foundation to draw out.
:hairpull::hairpull:

They've got enough stores there to get thm thro the winter let alone a couple of days of rain....

Latest posts

Back