Where Are The Swallows.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for insects - there seems to be a heck of a lot more than in past years - noticeably more fly strikes on windscreen and bonnet in the last few weeks.

I mentioned that to the wife the other day - there's a noticeable increase.

Same here. Insects galore dancing in the air but not butterflies. Masses of bats in the evening too

Butterflies here do not turn up in numbers till the spouts/cabbages and thistle are in full flow, not seen many bats though maybe the beast from the east has killed many moth larvae in the ground.

I have also noticed a big drop in the number of Bumble Bees this year.

I'm surprised at how many bumblebees we've had this year - which surprises me because the queens were out and about in February before the cold snap, and I expected that a lot of them would have copped it but clearly not.

I'm surprised at how many bumblebees we've had this year - which surprises me because the queens were out and about in February before the cold snap, and I expected that a lot of them would have copped it but clearly not.

There seems to be a good number of smaller bumbles here, but the big ones seem lacking - the big queens were about before the cold weather and I think they've been hit hard. Apparently insect numbers have fallen by 70% over the last decade, so an increase would be good. Hardly any martins or swallows here - the skies are quiet compared to a decade ago.

Latest posts

Back