when to inspect ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juanito

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Greetings,
its half past midnight here and I have just returned with our hives which we had to take to an out apiary,
question! would it be okay to make an inspection tomorrow or would it be better to let them settle for few days,
the day time temps are running at about 30C with wall to wall sunshine plus there is ample wild flower forage,
muchas gracias.

At my place when we move colonies from forage to forage, we leave them for a day to settle. That is what we do. Doesn't have to be right.. or wrong.

I like to caution beginners that they should not inspect their hive(s) too often. It can take a few days for a hive to recover from an inspection.

One rule I try to apply is ...... Why do I need to inspect this hive ? If there isn't a good reason then it should be left.

Thank you Barbarian,
I last checked the hive on the 3rd of may, and due to my inexperience both hives had lost a big swarm,
not unduly worried as the weather is good and for the first time in four years there is a good supply of forage for the bees.

I last checked the hive on the 3rd of may, and due to my inexperience both hives had lost a big swarm,
When did the swarms go? what was the state of play with the QC's you left when you did the last inspection.
If the queens are yet to emerge, or have just emerged, no need for an inspection for a couple of weeks at least.

Let's just hope the move was gentle enough not to damage any QC's

Latest posts

Back