when to 2nd super?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
Have 2 Strong colonies and were doing great at filling the brood box and first super until this miserable weather came. One hive went pear shaped last week after maybe I killed the queen or she's absconded, think I've killed her thou because the hive was still teaming with bees and doesn't look like I've lost a swarm.

In the hive that isn't -Q, I've some capped super frames and lots of bees working on every frame which is why I'm thinking of giving them another super for extra space seeing as were in for OK weather next week.
If I do super, I only have foundation as I used the drawn frames in the other supers so this brings me onto my next Q, should I put it between the BB and S or just in top.

If the first super is full then they will need a second ;).

Whether to put it above or below the first will depend on who you ask. Personally, I like to put the empty below the full one but have also just put one on top. Doesn't make a huge amount of difference really!

Good luck with the q-colony. The bees will make lots of emergency queen cells, if they aren't capped already select a few that have a healthy larvae in and destroy the rest or you run the risk of losing swarms. Might be the perfect opportunity to make increases if that's what you want ;)

Depends how cold it is getting at night with you. If it is cold nights then keep the food next to the brood if you are using a QE. Otherwise they have a big space between the queen and brood and the food. If it is warm enough not to matter then I put it between the box's. It isn't warm enough here, in fact they are eating more than they are bringing in at the moment!
E

Depends how cold it is getting at night with you. If it is cold nights then keep the food next to the brood if you are using a QE. Otherwise they have a big space between the queen and brood and the food. If it is warm enough not to matter then I put it between the box's. It isn't warm enough here, in fact they are eating more than they are bringing in at the moment!
E

Yeah probably the same here but were due OK weather all this week so thought best to have it rather than not invade they completely fill super while the weather picks up between my next inspection.

E

Cold of course its cold !!! Its Ireland, Summer..... its Cold ! :)

. One hive went pear shaped last week after maybe I killed the queen or she's absconded, think I've killed her thou because the hive was still teaming with bees and doesn't look like I've lost a swarm.

It's possible to loose a massive amount of bees from a hive and for it to still be packed with bees.

Explain "pear shaped" what's the problem? Why do you think the queen is gone? I've a queen I've only seen three times in a year but she's there working away. I usually don't look for the queen, if there are eggs then most times there is no point unless you want to split, remove or replace her.

T

It's possible to loose a massive amount of bees from a hive and for it to still be packed with bees.

Explain "pear shaped" what's the problem? Why do you think the queen is gone? I've a queen I've only seen three times in a year but she's there working away. I usually don't look for the queen, if there are eggs then most times there is no point unless you want to split, remove or replace her.

T

Checked it on 29th April, all good, queen laying, eggs, larvae and on a super. Didn't get to check until 13th may(exactly 2 weeks) no eggs, no larvae and just speckled bits of capped brood and 14(if I remember correctly) QCs. Took down all QCs apart from 1 and gave to another beek. Still lots of bees thou they are abit more aggressive than the other 2 hives(one an overwintered nuc). Checked under neath this hive and the other busy colony 2 nights in a row(7ish) and the one with Q us teaming with bees that looked like clustering (couldn't see any frames because of the much bees there was) but on other hive, bees looked like they were still working and not clustering. Lifted insulation hood up, checked through the poly crown board and bees are working on the super.

On the +Q hive, put another super on just before work. Looked through the poly CB and its 90% filled. Still need to check for QCs in brood box as last inspection was 8 days ago but not getting back until late from work so was afraid to open at these times in case I cause damage.

Back