When can you safely split a strong brood nest?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 depending
Poly hive, which seems to create extra margin for error. Even so, I do not have the nerve for a shook swarm, but I do want to keep the combs rotating.

I was able to split the brood nest (with foundation) four times during last year's massive ivy flow, deep into November. In spring the obvious risks are 1) slowing buildup and 2) having them think the hive is smaller than it is, triggering a swarm.

What are the general do's and don't of getting foundation* drawn in spring?

Thanks

TTLTB

* edited from "frame"

Last edited:
What are the general do's and don't of getting foundation* drawn in spring?

I'd suggest that you specifically *don't* split the brood nest with foundation.
Particularly with a small (even though expanding) colony.

Experienced, time-poor, commercial beeks might do it on a full colony while supplying Autumn feed, but generally it is something to avoid.

My suggestion for expanding the colony -
- yes, use a poly hive if you have one
- use a proper dummy board (it is completely flat, and thinner than a frame)
- use a restricted entrance, minimising draughts and discouraging robbing
- use a divider made of Kingspan or similar insulation board to 'wall off' the spare space. DerekM says its important it meets the crownboard - without disagreeing, I'd suggest putting something like a binbag of packaging chippings in the empty space beyond the divider.
- only have the frames-in-use in the hive plus one frame of foundation. Put that foundation frame between the brood and the stores. When they have drawn it and started to use it, give them one more sheet of foundation. And move the divider back when you add the frame.
- keep the dummy board tight up against the last frame, so that it only gets drawn out as far as all the other frames. And keep all the hoffmans tight together, so the comb is drawn evenly and to the ideal depth and propolis is minimised. This is important preparation for when all frames are done and the hive is in full swing. Beautifully even frames make things much simpler and more pleasant.

Latest posts

Back