What's going on?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexstarneil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
My first spring after installing a package last June. Hive very healthy, mites controlled etc.
I opened up on Friday and saw this. What am I seeing and what should I do please?

My first spring after installing a package last June. Hive very healthy, mites controlled etc.
I opened up on Friday and saw this. What am I seeing and what should I do please?

Looks like some drone brood has been opened up when you pulled frame up, bees investigating. Two possible play ups, check inside to see if egg/larvae and royal jelly, if not nothing to worry about, normal for time of year.

Looks normal for a hive with a dlq to me too:rolleyes:

Have you got any more photos? Its a bit hard to tell from a photograph when you cant see more of or all the frame.

Thanks for the replies.
I'll have another look in the week and take some better pics.

I see a frame of largely worker brood in most stages (can't see eggs) a patch of drone brood in the middle and two queen cups (did you check if they were charged?)

Looks normal for a hive with a dlq to me too:rolleyes:

Why do you say that? Unless she's only just turned DLQ then I would expect to see drones on that frame - and I can't spot one. There is definitely capped drone brood and also capped worker cells (can't tell what's in them though). The Q cups need checking out but the rest looks like a normal frame to me, bar the drone brood damage that probably happened when the frame was removed.

Why do you say that? Unless she's only just turned DLQ then I would expect to see drones on that frame - and I can't spot one. There is definitely capped drone brood and also capped worker cells (can't tell what's in them though). The Q cups need checking out but the rest looks like a normal frame to me, bar the drone brood damage that probably happened when the frame was removed.

Could be, its difficult to be definite from a close up photo of one bit of a comb, but that one bit looks a bit ugly to me.

Seems ok to me. Maybe you should of gone to specsavers:spy:

I stick by the queen likely being duff, its not the best photo but at a glance I first thought "failing queen", and thats where my money stays until further evidence is produced. I'm happy to be wrong though, for nexstarneil's sake.

Looked again today 9th April

Queen still in residence - lots of brood - lots of drone? - what else?

Many thanks

Your second photo shows a charged queen cell. How many like that we're there. Just a few may suggest supercedure more and they are in swarm mode.

Thanks. The only Queen cells I could find are the ones in the pic. What is the array of cells in this pic please?

Last edited:
Underneath the frame that is drone brood, it is normal for them to build a bit extra if there is space below.
Your original photo looks like the foundation was a bit bent, also part drawn in parts giving them free rein to insert some drone cells, very often happens if it is drawn out slowly.

Also think hopefully supercedure, but you never know, those cells are at the bottom of the frame. Thankfully there are only three, with only one apparently charged on the photo. The biggest one is probably about 3 days from being sealed I guess. Check again in a day or two, and if they have made more do as AS. I would clip that queen just in case I'm wrong, and get a hive ready. Good luck I really hope it's only supercedure.

The above is just my opinion I appreciate this is the typical scenario where there could be more opinions than beekeepers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back