What to do with old brood frames full of honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am happy to use apiary level hygiene. In an apiary I do not worry about which box goes where etc.
I like the sound of that. Amari's idea of not scorching boxes has got me thinking - as I'm about to buy another camping gaz canister for my blowtorch. Maybe if the crevices are filled ... and no evidence of wax moth etc...

Regarding hive tools, I inherited 3 lovely stainless ones, crafted by my neighbour who gave me his kit [he was a stainless steel fabricator]. They are sufficient for me to dedicate to each hive and I clean them afterwards. Luxury! However, when moving test frames the same hive tool seems both most convenient, and logical.

Ken has me wondering: if drawn frames have few defects [i.e. no gaping holes or layers of comb] and there is no history of disease is the idea of replacing frames after 3 years maximum all it's cracked up to be? I would appreciate thoughts from others more experienced than me on that one, please.

I like the sound of that. Amari's idea of not scorching boxes has got me thinking - as I'm about to buy another camping gaz canister for my blowtorch. Maybe if the crevices are filled ... and no evidence of wax moth etc...

Regarding hive tools, I inherited 3 lovely stainless ones, crafted by my neighbour who gave me his kit [he was a stainless steel fabricator]. They are sufficient for me to dedicate to each hive and I clean them afterwards. Luxury! However, when moving test frames the same hive tool seems both most convenient, and logical.

Ken has me wondering: if drawn frames have few defects [i.e. no gaping holes or layers of comb] and there is no history of disease is the idea of replacing frames after 3 years maximum all it's cracked up to be? I would appreciate thoughts from others more experienced than me on that one, please.
Post #3 ....

I rotate frames out of the main colonies from year three onwards.
Any that still looks ok are used in bait box's.
There's a big operator treading on our toes, but I generally catch at least twenty swarms a year just in bait box's stacked at the shed door which I assume are from his colonies.
Nearly fifty were caught this year from around our area that weren't ours and yes we caught and lost a few ourselves.

Latest posts

Back