What are my first steps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noshybabs

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi everyone :)

I'm new to beekeeping and at this point, don't worry I haven't purchased anything at all.

I have a beekeeping course booked in July and I was wondering, is July too late to start a new hive?

I'm reluctant to get any equipment before the course as I have the feeling that Beekeeping isn't something you can just jump into, but having said that i suppose i could always get a few books on the matter.

What should i do? Any advice at all would be great.

I got my first colony late in July last year and I have been pleased with them. I found a colony more cheaply through one of the county BKA - it was lateness in season combined with the fact it was thorough a local BKA that I think led to the fair cost. The problem is at that stage it will be too late to take any honey for your own use because, assuming it is a nucleus that has been purchased, they will need to build up the colony and their stores to give them a good chance of going through the winter.
As you say, you do need knowledge (I read books and also found Paul Metcalf's video very good) and it makes sense to have experience of being around an opened hive before you spend money because you might hate it. Having a mentor is very useful. Joining the local BKA gives you more chance of meeting a mentor and having opportunities to be round a hive when it is opened up. You did not say whether your course was through a BKA or elsewhere. BKA courses are often about 6 weeks starting in spring but they may also do taster days. Some other organisations / teachers do weekend courses which can help busy people who may find it easier to get one weekend scheduled that 6 or 8 evenings over a couple of months.
I am not sure whether I was lucky to get my bees through the winter - I did treat them and feed them as advised and I worried during all that cold weather. I think I would have felt discouraged had they failed because getting the equipment and clothes etc is expensive so it would have been hard to spend another chunk of money. I think I did make the mistake of trying to find bargains piecemeal whereas had I known then what I know now I think I would have done things differently - but then you do need to be prepared to part with between £300 and £500 for one hive plus extras - and most people will tell you that having two hives gives a lot of benefits and allows some situations to be retrieved because you can either combine or split colonies.
I am enjoying the whole experience so much I would recommend it to anyone.
I must have been intending and preparing for 8 years - there were a few hurdles - and wish I'd taken the step much earlier.
Tricia

Hi everyone :)

I'm new to beekeeping and at this point, don't worry I haven't purchased anything at all.

I have a beekeeping course booked in July and I was wondering, is July too late to start a new hive?

I'm reluctant to get any equipment before the course as I have the feeling that Beekeeping isn't something you can just jump into, but having said that i suppose i could always get a few books on the matter.

What should i do? Any advice at all would be great.

You might get a swarm earler, but don 't rush it. There's a lot to learn and not all of it comes out of a book. Or a dozen.

Isn't there a course being run by your local beekeeping association starting this month?

Thanks,

The Course is through the Leeds BKA. The course that starts May is full.

I have ordered a book and I will give that a read and see how it goes. I don't mind waiting a year just to do it right.

July is not too late to get your first nuc or colony, but you will need to make sure that you are really on the ball with autumn varroa treatment and pre-winter feeding. If you get your nuc in July and we have another poor summer then you could be going into winter with a weak colony that will struggle to survive unless you treat and feed appropriately.
Definitely join your local BKA if you haven't done so already. Go to all their meetings and talk to as many experienced beeks as you can.
I'd get all your equipment well in advance of getting your bees. It takes time to assemble flat-pack hives and to get the hang of lighting your smoker etc. It pays to practice.
Having said all that, patience is a virtue - if you don't feel ready then leave it for another year. Difficult to do when you are eager to get started but sometimes it's the best way.

The Course is through the Leeds BKA. The course that starts May is full.

Have you joined their association. As Spring is here most associations hold apiary meetings where new and potential bee keepers can see first hand a colony and what to look for.

Well worth spending approximately £10-20 to join as an associate member (member without bees)

Speaking from my own experience if I were you I would learn as much as you can this year, on here, going on courses, reading books, then spend the winter reading more books, on here, building up your knowledge. You can then start next year better prepared and have an earlier colony. Believe me, there's alot of learning to do!

I think the course includes BKA membership. They mentioned the apiary meetings to me, and i might pop along to one.

I think maybe waiting is the right thing to i properly need to make a few changes to my garden before i get them in any ways.

Thanks for the advise everyone.

I think the course includes BKA membership. They mentioned the apiary meetings to me, and i might pop along to one.

The apiary meetings ought to be invaluable: they will give you a chance to gain hands on experience with bees under the supervision of someone who really knows what they are about. Take maximum advantage - I wish I had!

Have you joined their association. As Spring is here most associations hold apiary meetings where new and potential bee keepers can see first hand a colony and what to look for.

Well worth spending approximately £10-20 to join as an associate member (member without bees)

:iagree:
And I believe that Leeds have a weekly meeting at their apiary during the summer

I can't emphasise enough how important apiary meetings are - you can learn more from one (good) apiary meeting than from a dozen theory lessons.

Latest posts

Back