Weekend Beekeeping course

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm one of the keen newbies who is looking for just such a course.

I think 150 quid is quite high, but I may be willing to pay that for 1:1 tuition with a good teacher . . .

One thing I've done is to join 2 local associations.
Means I get to go to twice the number of meetings and meet (nearly) twice as many fellow beeks.
The one I mentioned above has structured beginners courses and the other (smaller) one has provided a mentor (with also a 2nd unofficial mentor) along with my second nuc.

This means I've had differing practical advice - great because then I can choose which is best for me.

I wouldn't pay for 1:1 teaching as I like to solicit different points of view and make up my own mind.

This forum helps considerably towards this.

This means I've had differing practical advice - great because then I can choose which is best for me.

Then do what the rest of us do and choose the third option,your own :laughing-smiley-004

And that third option is one of the best,you can go on a course, and read to learn the basics,but you will not beat learning by your own mistakes,sometimes simple one's,sometimes not, sometimes infuriating,and no course on the planet can teach you everything,because you will never know it all, or stop learning with beekeeping.

All these options are unsafe ........ ya gotta do what Fris tells ya ........ believe me ;)

Dear Frisbee you are upset because I explained why I detest frame spacers?

I don't recall me mentioning frame spacers at all.

If that is all it takes to upset you so deeply please put me on block. I have posted no sarcastic comments that I am aware of. I post some very brief ones at times I know but they are I hope to the point.

Me upset over it? No I don't think so........I thought it was rather sad and pathetic.

Just ignore me please then you wont be wounded again.

:biggrinjester: No worries - I generally do.

You might be surprised at the number of pm's I get thanking me for this and that.

I've no doubt about it.

So on balance you see I am miles ahead. And I do know what I am talking about when it comes to the bees.

Well you certainly talk the talk and know how to big yourself up. You may think you are miles ahead and you may know far more than me about beekeeping........... but then I've never questioned that.

Frisbee

I would love to jump in but having five daughters over the years so at it's worst having a house of me and 6 woman !! I know when to keep quite..

OOOOOhhhhhhh, five Frisbees .............. delicious ............ (near death experience) Ha ha

Erm, well maybe ...... but never forget, discretion is the better part of valour ...... and suddenly .......... (having been spoken to by Fris, !!!... strictly !!!) ...... I'll excercise discretion ........

I know my place .......... ;) JC.

:)

£150 is a fair price for 2 days of teaching. Of course the expectation will be high for anyone parting with this large a sum, but I'm sure you are up to the task PH. I recently spent 3 days on a brewing course @ £100 per day plus VAT. There were 12 delegates, the tutor was a recognised leading micro-brewer, and we were educated and entertained and went away much better equipped. The course lived up to my expectations and I was happy.

I did a very intensive 2 1/2 day 'Train the Trainer' course, this was for me to train dog agility and was run by (arguably) one of the best dog agility competitor and trainer in the country.

the cost was £250 per person plus accom and was extremely good value as we were working from 0900 to about 1800 both days and 1600-2100 on the half day

Is not the problem with teaching beekeeping (in a practical way) that to see the full picture you need to experience a full season? So this in reality can not be covered in a weekend course?

I have no doubt the course will be filled and even will be over subscribed, and further more I am sure people will pay this for say 4 courses to cover the basic 4 seasons of hive management.

So maybe to progress you courses, offer a "years beekeeping Course" (4 x weekend courses) @ £500 or even £450 (cash up front) give you some money in your pocket in advance for future developments

I think that goes with out saying Jimbeekeeper and it would be a foolish tutor who even suggested that a weekend course was aimed at that.

The weekends I used to teach were the hands on climax to a 10 week course so there were already 20 hours of tuition involved.

I would aim to offer an over view, and to show some hands on ways of finding queens, various manipulations, and how equipment works.

My main thrust would be I know what works, I will tell and show you what works and there after it is up to you to read, research and experiment to find what works for you. Which is really about all you can offer in all honesty.

There is utterly no point in suggesting plan A for queen rearing if it involves 20 colonies to a beginner. And so on...

PH

I think that goes with out saying Jimbeekeeper

You would assume so Poly Hive, but there will be those that will attend and expect be a "fully qualified" beekeeper in 13hrs! And expect the certificate and T Shirt to prove it for their £150!

Latest posts

Back