Ways of avoiding OSR contaimination--without moving the bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy-glide

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have all my hives in a rural location on farm land and suffer from all my crop being contaminated by Oil Seed Rape (OSR). Whilst I accept the early spring crop will be from OSR, is there a method of trying to get a mid summer crop of clear honey?

Moving the hives is not an option so open to suggestions.

Thinking along the lines of extracting small amounts frequently from say one or two frames from the center of the hive during a flow from brambles which proliferate in the local hedgerows rather than waiting to the end of the summer and extracting all the frames.

Have all my hives in a rural location on farm land and suffer from all my crop being contaminated by Oil Seed Rape (OSR). Whilst I accept the early spring crop will be from OSR, is there a method of trying to get a mid summer crop of clear honey?

Moving the hives is not an option so open to suggestions.

Thinking along the lines of extracting small amounts frequently from say one or two frames from the center of the hive during a flow from brambles which proliferate in the local hedgerows rather than waiting to the end of the summer and extracting all the frames.

When you are experience d with OSR you will learn that all you need to do is remove and extract all the OSR honey asap. If you leave it, it will set. Very easy to manage. Bramble honey will then be very likely if the crop is there.
Cazza

if the crop is there.

Cazzas point may be very pertinent. Often, if the spring crop is removed, there is little else within range to create a decent excess later. That is why bee farmers migrate their colonies to be close to the flows?

Urban bees can often do as well, or better, than fixed position hives in arable areas.

Removal of the OSR honey crop is the obvious and best way to avoid contamination.

if the crop is there.

Cazzas point may be very pertinent. Often, if the spring crop is removed, there is little else within range to create a decent excess later. That is why bee farmers migrate their colonies to be close to the flows?

Urban bees can often do as well, or better, than fixed position hives in arable areas.

Removal of the OSR honey crop is the obvious and best way to avoid contamination.

We have osr about 2km away. We remove before capping using the shake test and follow up with a refractometer.

In arable/OSR districts there typically aren't any summer flows to speak of. You planning on getting a honey crop from wheat?

if the crop is there. Removal of the OSR honey crop is the obvious and best way to avoid contamination.

Agree above essential to avoid excessive crystallisation. However, some beekeepers I have spoken to leave the osr contaminated frames unused until the next season. That requires storage of single purpose frames of course with risks of wax moth etc which is not what I would do. Best is, after extraction, rinse under the tap, drain by shaking surplus water and then let the bees clean them before they store more nectar in them. They will readily clean them up for flying energy purposes, probably in preference to storing and contamination of the later crop. Dilution of the osr will probably cure the latter anyway.

Last edited:
Why is it not an option?

As I only have the one site..simple as that.

Not even sure moving from one piece of farmland to another would make a large difference as most farms in our area do seem to be sowing a late season crop of Rape. However do accept that each local is likely to different in terms of flowers available.

Wondering if the secret is to store each small extraction during June July August separately until I see if it remains fluid or sets. For the last three years have been performing two large extractions, one when the spring rape goes over which I cream and sell as soft set and then a second in August. Unfortunately the second crop has always set solid in a coupe of days which I assume is because it has been contaminated by OSR.

In arable/OSR districts there typically aren't any summer flows to speak of. You planning on getting a honey crop from wheat?

I've never found that to be the case. Summer flows usually better than the spring OSR, the only recent exception being 2012. Over the years I've had bees widespread over 5 different counties during summer, all in arable areas, and always a good flow. No need to move bees to a flow as it's everywhere. The difference is it does end suddenly mid to late July, so there can be advantages moving to something like borage which might give another week or two.

Yep I agree. I'm in quite a high arable area but still get a good summer flow from bramble, lime trees and I think clover on grass paddocks, roadside verges etc.

Some of my summer honey does stay clear which I think is the bramble but most granulated in to a lovely paste like honey which people prefer to the clear runny stuff. I think this is clover but only guessing.

So is there a method to ensure my late summer crop is not tainted with OSR?

Realistically no. The bees go where they will. But to be honest the later rape, if there is any, doesn't seem to yield as well, so bees will just as likely go for the bramble anyway. And even if your honey has a percentage rape, it's still likely to be suitable as a runny honey, as long as you warm and filter it.

That's certainly true in my immediate area - wheat, cabbage, sugar beet, potatoes - without OSR there'd be almost sod all.
LJ

That's certainly true in my immediate area - wheat, cabbage, sugar beet, potatoes - without OSR there'd be almost sod all.
LJ

Agreed. One persons view of arable country will, I guess, differ from another's. There are big arable farms in my district, and while late sources include white clover, HB, lime and bramble, summer honey crops haven't been particularly good.

Latest posts

Back