Wax Moth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
I've searched the forum and cant find the answer.

The back story, picked up a good sized swarm two weeks ago and put them in a Poly nuc on new frames and foundation. Fed the bee's. Little sh*ts took 6 pints of syrup drawn all the frames, storing the syrup in the newly drawn frames and havve now buggered off.

I want to store the frames can I spray with certan (B401) and store with open cells with syrup in them?

Thanks

Put them in the freezer for when you want them.

Wax moth won't touch the frames if brood has never been laid in them. They eat the cacoon the stuff used for brood cells.
E

Right I'll either store or use the B/Frames this winter. Thanks

If only that was true.
Seen many a honey super destroyed by wax moth

maybe I am wrong, wouldn't want to give a false message, any body else like to comment? They certainly only attack my brood frames and any 'wet' honey frames they leave well alone!
E

maybe I am wrong, wouldn't want to give a false message, any body else like to comment? They certainly only attack my brood frames and any 'wet' honey frames they leave well alone!
E

Personally I've only seen wax moth, affect brood frames, or where brood has been laid, never had any issues with wet frames stored over winter, in sealed poly bags from supers.

I've had mice eat wet frames, and dry super frames though, and a few local beeks told me that's because I store them in a warm bee shed, and get them outside this winter, stacked on travel screens on wooden blocks (outside)

Not sure where super frames has come from but they are national BF's in a Paynes Poly.

Hi Hachi,
As said above syrup will ferment, then you have a job on your hands. Also bear in mind, if you use acetic acid, it does not kill eggs so you are relying on frost to kill those and that does not always work out in our climate.

We left a stack of six supers with extracted, fully drawn frames sitting in our cellar in Italy for more than two years. There was a little nibbling from a couple of larvae when we looked at them again, but nothing significant.

They weren't treated with BT before storage or treated in any other way, but the supers were sound and there was a sheet of perspex top and bottom. Moths seem able to get in through the tiniest holes, but I suspect that the larvae that did appear and lived short, malnourished lives came from eggs that had been laid when the supers were on hives. There were certainly loads of wax moths around. We learned from experience that the moths there would demolish a brood body full of used frames in just a couple months.

Wax moth larvae are very destructive and can quickly destroy stored beeswax combs. They tunnel and chew through combs, particularly combs that have contained brood and pollen.

Perhaps it's the pollen in my honey supers that's attracting the moths ?

or giving them back to the bees for 'cleaning up' before storing
Alway store wet

Last winter wax moth damaged a lot of my super frames, some were dry some wet, never had the problem before. I always treat them with sulphur strips, but did not work this time.
I rely of burning sulphur to keep the moths out of stored drawn brood and super comb and give them 2 treatments 10-14 days apart. How many times did you use the sulphur strips and did you store the super frames in a plastic bag or the boxes in a store house or outside? Moth reinfestation may be more likely with equipment stored inside.

Latest posts

Back