wasps next to a pond

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

One of my work colleagues parents have a wasp nest. It is sited in a rockery directly above a pond.

It is near enough to a walkway where stings have occurred, and they are becoming increasingly boisterous.

Are there any fish/pond friendly methods of 'removing' the nest other than to dig it out?

Cheers
Pete

someone said use a hoover (henry with no bag and water/fairy liquid to break the surface tension)

A bit risky with a Henry. Bad things happen if water is sucked up through the motor.

George, the green one is a wet and dry vac.

I'm quite aware of the wet and dry vac in the Numatic range:
a) It ain't a Henry
b) It's pretty rare.

A Henry was mentioned, hence my warning.
Other makes of wet & dry vacs are available to do the job!

Hi Guys

One of my work colleagues parents have a wasp nest. It is sited in a rockery directly above a pond.

It is near enough to a walkway where stings have occurred, and they are becoming increasingly boisterous.

Are there any fish/pond friendly methods of 'removing' the nest other than to dig it out?

Cheers
Pete

Steam hose in the entrance?

A few days ago I was called to deal with a wasps nest on a footpath in the parish. The entrance was hole in the middle of the path. A pedestrian's dog was stung.
I poured a few litres of petrol down. I decided not to apply a match as 50 acres of ripe barley were adjacent....
I followed by a spray of foam that hardens to form a plug.

Another thought for the OP. A CO₂ extinguisher with a hose attached applied steadily should kill an underground nest, would be safe near the pond and would leave no toxic residue.

Has anyone tried this method?

A few days ago I was called to deal with a wasps nest on a footpath in the parish. The entrance was hole in the middle of the path. A pedestrian's dog was stung.
I poured a few litres of petrol down. I decided not to apply a match as 50 acres of ripe barley were adjacent....
I followed by a spray of foam that hardens to form a plug.

Not sure of the wisdom of contaminating soil with petrol. Any water courses or aquifers near by that the petrol will pollute?

Not sure of the wisdom of contaminating soil with petrol. Any water courses or aquifers near by that the petrol will pollute?

In a previous life I often came across significant leaks of kerosine around heating oil tanks. It slowly evaporated if left alone without incurring stupid levels of EA intervention, penalty and panic. A month or two later the weeds and grass growth was back to normal.
Petrol would evaporate quicker.
Maybe I'm just old school

Back