Wasp Traps What Bait?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinL

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I was round at my local beekeeping supplier today and we ended up discussing wasps hornets etc.

There was a general consensus between the three of us that as Hornets were not a great local problem we were all for following a live and let live policy.
However, when it came to the subject of Wasps discussions became wider with regard to; what sort of trap(Jam jar or bought trap), where to place them, how many to use etc.

More importantly, What was the best bait to put within the trap that would not attract bees but be irresistible to the dreaded jaspers?

Ribena?
Jam + Hot water(which fruit)?
Marmalade?
Beer?
Cider?

What has every one else tried and found to be good?
Are there any local preferences?
:cheers2:

1 shot of fruit syrup - I use strawberry
1 shot of cider vinegar
water as required
1 strip of banana skin

works for me:)

Jam
Water
Washing up liquid
Splash of Vinigar

Placed under the hives

results after 4 days..>>>>>>>>

medium.jpg

This year I used a bought trap (cheap plastic one from ebay) and just put water in it with over ripe fruit that was available. Strawberries earlier in the season and right now a few slices of apple!
Both seem to work fine as every time I empty it, there are a lot of dead wasps!

I put wasp traps next to my nuc and had the feeling that it was attracting extra wasps. I had to move the nuc according to the 3 feet a day rule but left the trap where it was. I thought the wasps might remember where it was and stay away from the nuc. I put other traps where I wanted the wasps to go, about 10 feet away from my hives. It seems to be working.

My 11 yr old son and I have an on-going competition to see who can catch the most wasps. I like strawberry jam and he goes for apricot. Strawberry definitely catches more. There are always wasps around the hives this time of year with or without baited jam jars - I am sure they won't attract more wasps than would otherwise be there.

MJ and winker,

I've followed your advice BUT all my four highly successful wasp traps are now getting trashed overnight by the local foxes. Presumably they're tipping them over to get at the sweet sludge.

I put traps all over the garden. Some are close to the hives and others are not Those by the hives catch far more wasps. It must be the hives that attract the wasps.

I have one with lager and marmalade thats full of wasps,and one with marmalade and vinegar with nowt in it.

The washing up liquid reduces surface tension so the wasps cannot walk on it
and allows them to drown that much quicker.

:biggrinjester:

Bottle Traps

Placed under the hives

results after 4 days..>>>>>>>>

medium.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Like these traps, never seen plastic bottles used like this!
not worthy Might try some, are there ever any bees caught?

Must find out how to post pics. We seem to be catching loads here (traps rammed after a few days too many wasps!) they don't drown straight away though just form a ball. Makes it a bit dodgy emptying them!

We seem to be catching loads here (traps rammed after a few days too many wasps!) they don't drown straight away though just form a ball. Makes it a bit dodgy emptying them!

the vinigar in the mix puts the bees off, and Washing up liquid reduces surface tension so they drown faster

I'm still not sure wheather to put wasp traps out after the recent thread with contribution from the Wasp Expert lady. She seemed to think that wasp traps just bring more and more wasps in and although you'll kill loads there will be dozens of others left over to attack the hives. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Dead wasps don't talk!

Wasps were here before I put out my traps!
Sooner take the chance that they are attracted to the traps and not the hives.

In any case, trapped wasps can not return to the nest & tell others where to find my hives.

Latest posts

Back