WANTED TBH Guru near Farnham

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgepopovic

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
As I await delivery of my TBH I ask myself "What happens come Spring 2013?" I hope somebody local has some advice and time to lend expertise.

George.

Welcome to the forum George.
I am sure someone will be along shortly to help you out.

Thaks, Blackie

Had a PM from Blackie but have been unable to respond until after I've clocked up 3 or more posts. This is what my response would have been:
Thanks, Blackie. Have yet to see the for sale ad but doubt that I'd be interested yet. I really need to find my feet next Spring.

If this counts as my second post, only one to go before I can PM.

Welcome to the forum georgepopovic :)

Tbh

Hi George, I'm in Fareham, Hants - not a million miles away from you - in the same position as you but building my own TBH and waiting for bees in Spring. I found huge amounts of info on web - particularly good sites: Phil Chandler - the Barefoot Beekeeper (his book is VG) and Micheal Bush - Goohaggle them both ~ you'll find them. My hive is a tanzanian TBH with National frame dimensions as I reckoned on it being easier to install a standard nuc and less stress for bees than other methods of transferring them from Nuc box. Happy to share any theory I have but I've little practical as yet. Joined my local association who run a beginners course in January which I'm booke onto - there's a good association as well in Meon Valley which are near to you (they meet in Warnford) and well worth talking to. Best of luck. Philip

To both prospective TBH beekeepers posting here, and indeed any other, why not buy a package of bees (no frames) rather than a nucleus (frames), or else do your best to get on a swarm list? It'll make life easier.

George, Fleet has a good association, they will help you out, I used to live near there (Churt) before selling my little house and buying an estate with the same money here! Loads of sweet chestnut around that area, lovely honey crop.
Best of luck
E

Many thanks, Philip. I've joined the Biobees / forum etc and have struck up a correspondence line with Chris (gender unknown). I've also got / read the Barefoot book which, good as it is, is intensely annoying to handle being the format it is. Would have been much more handleable in A5 format. As for a hive, I've chickened out for the time being and awaiting delivery from Leeway Woodwork. The DIY option awaits supply source of decent wood and energy.

It seems that neither of us would be much food to the other yet but Fareham is close enough, so let's not lose touch.

George.

It seems that neither of us would be much food to the other
...are you a cannibal lol

Hi George, I'm in Fareham, Hants - not a million miles away from you - in the same position as you but building my own TBH and waiting for bees in Spring. I found huge amounts of info on web - particularly good sites: Phil Chandler - the Barefoot Beekeeper (his book is VG) and Micheal Bush - Goohaggle them both ~ you'll find them. My hive is a tanzanian TBH with National frame dimensions as I reckoned on it being easier to install a standard nuc and less stress for bees than other methods of transferring them from Nuc box. Happy to share any theory I have but I've little practical as yet. Joined my local association who run a beginners course in January which I'm booke onto - there's a good association as well in Meon Valley which are near to you (they meet in Warnford) and well worth talking to. Best of luck. Philip

see you on the course Philip :) I've gone the National hive route and already have my bees but am doing the course anyway.

As for a hive, I've chickened out for the time being and awaiting delivery from Leeway Woodwork. The DIY option awaits supply source of decent wood and energy.

George.

the beauty of top bar hives is that you can make them from anything
this one is from a futon bed frame and ply off cuts

IMAG0338.jpg

IMAG0350.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

it still includes my 2 x 14x9 national frames, total cost around 99p

IMAG0348.jpg

IMAG0349.jpg

Another example of a home-made Top-Bar Hive:

hsw3gm.jpg

This one has been sized to take 14x12 frames, top bars, or a mix of both. Can be run as a pure Top Bar hive, or supered with National kit (using the adapter frame shown), and has room for a 6-frame NUC alongside, with or without it's own super. Open mesh floor with sliding draw.

Currently overwintering a late swarm colony on 14x12's with this box, using a National super to hold a jar feeder and fondant.

Cost about a fiver to make.

LJ

Last edited:
Hi George, I'm definitely not a tbh guru...in fact not a guru on anything really (as her in doors will testify !!)...but I'm in the same neck of the woods as you, so happy to offer my one brain cell when you need it ;) .

Tbh

Many thanks, Philip. I've joined the Biobees / forum etc and have struck up a correspondence line with Chris (gender unknown). I've also got / read the Barefoot book which, good as it is, is intensely annoying to handle being the format it is. Would have been much more handleable in A5 format. As for a hive, I've chickened out for the time being and awaiting delivery from Leeway Woodwork. The DIY option awaits supply source of decent wood and energy.

It seems that neither of us would be much food to the other yet but Fareham is close enough, so let's not lose touch.

George.

Yep - that would be good ... see what spring holds for both of us. Ratcatchers post is a good one - his hives are very creative and he has some good videos on youtube as well. Post about package bees is sensible but I just figured a nuc with the frames already started and a colony thriving would give me a better start in spring.
Philip

see you on the course Philip :) I've gone the National hive route and already have my bees but am doing the course anyway.

Hi Lisa - so are you on the course with Mike Holloway ? Did you see him doing his stuff on TV last week ? Can't PM as not enough posts yet but will do in due course.

Philip

Hi Lisa - so are you on the course with Mike Holloway ? Did you see him doing his stuff on TV last week ? Can't PM as not enough posts yet but will do in due course.

Philip

yep I've signed up for Mike's course, I thought it would be a good way to meet up with other beekeepers as well as hopefully learning something! Have you joined the association? There is a talk on queens in Stubbington tomorrow night. I will go along if I remember (forgot all about the last one after saying I would go)

I will be the little one with glasses standing in the corner looking lost lol

Latest posts

Back