• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Equipment Wanted Wanted poly ashforth or Miller feeder. BS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22462

New Bee
Reaction score
As per title looking for above in reasonable condition. Poly only please

The swienty ones are good. Same font print as a wooden hive. I got a load from Simon the beekeeper, but think C.Wynn Jones and Gwenyn Gruffydd do them a a reasonable price.

swienty ones are good
Warning: the Swienty was designed (although it has 9 practical flaws, so I use the term loosely) as a top bee space hive and has no rebate on the underside of the feeder.

Consequently, the box will sit on the top bars or you will have to glue & screw 8mm stripwood to it.

Abelo & Swienty have a BS National footprint of 460mm. All others are 500mm or more.

Abelo win (again).

Warning: the Swienty was designed (although it has 9 practical flaws, so I use the term loosely) as a top bee space hive and has no rebate on the underside of the feeder.

Consequently, the box will sit on the top bars or you will have to glue & screw 8mm stripwood to it.

Abelo & Swienty have a BS National footprint of 460mm. All others are 500mm or more.

Abelo win (again).
It is more of a flaw with the design of the bottom spaced hive than the feeder, but that is a whole other thread!
I have used them (and 40+wooden flat bottomed feeders) with my bottom bee spaced nationals and have not found a massive issue. just give the top bars a smoke and scrape and it is fine. Not had a problem removing them. I did try leaving some framed queen excluders on to give the bee space but no real advantage.
I do have a few wooden ones (thornes ?) with a bee space underneath and find these just as "sticky" as the bees will brace between it and the top bar,, maybe the space is a bit generous.
That said they all do the job and get the autumn feed down at a good rate.

Latest posts

Back