Walk-away split: reduce QC's?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4+
In a so-called walk-away split to make an additional colony, the recommendation is often to leave the queenless part alone for 30 days until the queen is laying. But is it better to reduce the QCs produced to the best one or two after 8 or 9 days, as recommended here? As the bees were not initially in swarm mode there should be little chance of them wanting to swarm on multiple cells so leaving alone should not cause swarms and would allow them to choose the best queen.

In a so-called walk-away split to make an additional colony, the recommendation is often to leave the queenless part alone for 30 days until the queen is laying. But is it better to reduce the QCs produced to the best one or two after 8 or 9 days, as recommended here? As the bees were not initially in swarm mode there should be little chance of them wanting to swarm on multiple cells so leaving alone should not cause swarms and would allow them to choose the best queen.

When you make an emercency queen, it takes 10 days to emerge. Then it takes another 10 days to start laying.

But why to rear in the nuc an emergency queen? You may rear normal queens in a normal hive. Then you make nucs from that hives, which reared the queens. But you myst move the nucs to another apiary

Took 2 frames of BIAS and 4 frames of stores into a nucleus placed next to the parent hive. These are 14x12 frames. Has all worked well, as usual, with about 8 emergency QCs after 8 days, plenty of flying and nurse bees and additional stores collected since the split. No robbing from 3 hives less than 2 m away, or attack by wasps. I've done it before several times with complete success and have reduced the QCs to one (or possibly 2), but looking at advice on such spilts, there is little mention of reducing the QCs.

Last edited:
Took 2 frames of BIAS and 4 frames of stores into a nucleus placed next to the parent hive. These are 14x12 frames. Has all worked well, as usual, with about 8 emergency QCs after 8 days, plenty of flying and nurse bees and additional stores collected since the split. No robbing from 3 hives less than 2 m away, or attack by wasps. I've done it before several times with complete success and have reduced the QCs to one (or possibly 2), but looking at advice on such spilts, there is little mention of reducing the QCs.
What I've done in the past, is 2 to 3 frames of emerging brood the rest as stores, shaken more bees in. Then I have a cutout of eggs fashioned horizontally to the frames ( Hopkins Method of Queen Rearing). They have drawn out 6 queen cells close together. Then leave them alone.

Latest posts

Back