Virgin queen flew away during inspection; lost her?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a nutshell the learning points from this:

1. Think again about who you choose for a mentor
2. Consider when putting your swarm in its final location to add a frame of brood-NOT with bees on it from another hive
3. ditch the QE bit
4. blocking in a virgin Q risks your experience so far and buggering it all up. The consensus here is not to do it but the final decision is up to you.
5. Stop the compulsive meddling and constant need to open a hive, you're not helping and you're setting back your bee's. They have a lot of work to do to build now in prep for winter.

I've just watched the Bibba youtube with Roger P. Your Q's was identical to one posed to him. Is it you?

In a nutshell the learning points from this:

1. Think again about who you choose for a mentor
2. Consider when putting your swarm in its final location to add a frame of brood-NOT with bees on it from another hive
3. ditch the QE bit
4. blocking in a virgin Q risks your experience so far and buggering it all up. The consensus here is not to do it but the final decision is up to you.
5. Stop the compulsive meddling and constant need to open a hive, you're not helping and you're setting back your bee's. They have a lot of work to do to build now in prep for winter.
Thanks. So say a catch a swarm, not aware if queen is virgin or not. I hive the swarm. When shall I do the first inspection?

Thanks. So say a catch a swarm, not aware if queen is virgin or not. I hive the swarm. When shall I do the first inspection?

Don't feed for two to three days, watch the entrance. If they are flying well and bringing back pollen then those not bringing back pollen will be likely carrying nectar or water.
Ditch any ideas of a QX and as Dani say's give then time to settle and the Q will lay if mated. If no eggs/brood then just leave them to it and make sure they have stores and wait for the Q to start laying, three weeks leave them to it.
If a swarm is going to abscond let them do so as they will probably do so anyway, it is isn't rare to occur but my self have never yet had one do so.
Next year you will have some drawn combs so on or two can be used instead of 100% foundation or no wax.

Don't feed for two to three days, watch the entrance. If they are flying well and bringing back pollen then those not bringing back pollen will be likely carrying nectar or water.
[/QUOTE]

Tell me please, why would they be bringing back water? Seems a stupid idea and bees are not stupid.

Latest posts

Back