Varroa in 2022

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polomadh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Around about this time of year, my hives with high varroa counts have lots of varroasis evident, deformed wings etc. and I am looking to get the supers off to treat as soon as I can.

This year, whilst I haven’t done a count for a while (my boards are out in the hot weather) i haven’t seen much, although I don’t doubt that varroa is still there. I am curious to know if anyone else is seeing lower levels of varroasis this year?

In a village out apiary one colony out of five suddenly exploded and showed up quite a few deformed/shrivel wings on new emerged bees and this was noticable on all the bood combs along with some bald brood. The particular hive is smashing in the nectar and stands seven feet tall, queen has gone off lay and no eggs or Q seen some 16 days ago when I checked.
I started vaping 15 days ago by removing the supers then vaping the double broods only, on all five colonies, once vaped and reformed as chrystals in the BB's the supers simpy go back on until next time when they have to come off again.

This morning all five had a forth vape and plenty of fresh nectar still coming in , the badly affected colony I saw the marked Q and a couple of frames of eggs and young larvae so she has picked up again. Looking thru the brood frames still a few signs of varroa affected bees but a lot less that were visible a couple of weeks ago. Another round on thursday and that will be it till mid sept when I will appraise the situation.

The other four colonies not showing any signs of deformed bees but never the less being in very close proximity they got done as well.

I don't bother with board counting much esp when the evidence says they are in trouble. Sept I will carry out some sugar shakes to verify mite count.

In the UK one can't treat with supers on so remove them treat by vaping and then place the supers back on where fumes haven't affected them. One reason to ditch all the other treatments where the substance taints the honey and needs to stay on the hive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back