varroa drop after new year varrox

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyatcwfarm

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 colonies(national) 1 nuc
What kind of drop should/could i expect to see after one dose of vaporised oxalic acid in january?[previously 3 doses 5 days apart in late oct early nov.]
What levels would suggest a second dose is required?
thanks

What kind of drop should/could i expect to see after one dose of vaporised oxalic acid in january?[previously 3 doses 5 days apart in late oct early nov.]
thanks
The drop would depend on the efficacy of your earlier treatment.
Have you got significant brood in your colonies? That is what dictates whether you need a second and third?

I have a Winter vape drop of Zero/5/15/45/50 (to the nearest one mite ;) ) over 5 days
All on 14 x 12 I won't be repeating it.

I got a range from 4 to c50..

That depends very much on how much capped brood was present at the time of that treatment. If none at all, then virtually all (but not quite all) the phoretic mitex will have perished. Assume 5% of mites survived if the colony was brood-free?

RAB

I'll be doing the same soon, I'm hoping for the same numbers as Erica and Madasfish. In a perfect world what Oliver said would be wonderful.
As said above, with those numbers I'd leave well alone for a while.

Last edited:
You have had there temp near zero, and no pollen foraging. It means brooding gap and better results in mite killing.

That's true, if the predicted weather is country wide there should soon be a period of no brood.

You have had there temp near zero, and no pollen foraging. It means brooding gap and better results in mite killing.

-10 here tonight but further south it could be +5 in places, you need to go to college and get a degree in British weather, i have been working in snow all day about 2in deep 15 mile away and when i got home there was no snow, just cold icy winds.

Two hives with clear signs of brood - clear lines of cappings on inspection tray - had drops in the dozens. May carry out repeat vaping.
Two hives with little sign of brood (as per inspection trays) had drops of over 100. Will not be repeating in the near future.

As others, so many variables to be taken into account re what to expect and further vaping.

you need to go to college and get a degree in British weather,.

I get a degree when I write in google "foreca london" or " foreca milton keynes". It gives so much degrees as I need.

Durham +3C today and snow work. Very strange. I have here -18C degrees. 20 cm snow. No need British degrees. Keep them.

Last edited:
So you think seeing cappings is an indication of brood? What about uncapping stores? I think if the capping wax is dark ...you can think brood but if it is light...think stores.
...and thinking about where in the hive you see the line of cappings. If you know where they brood and know where they stored their honey...then you will know what the cappings indicate.

So you think seeing cappings is an indication of brood?

No. I think seeing dark cappings is a good sign of brood. Why do you ask? I simply responded to OP which was was about expected varroa drops - surely no need to go into every detail in such replies. Think whether you post may be seen as patronising.

I get a degree when I write in google "foreca london" or " foreca milton keynes". It gives so much degrees as I need.

Durham +3C today and snow work. Very strange. I have here -18C degrees. 20 cm snow. No need British degrees. Keep them.

Google and the BBC weather are useless i was working in part of Durham today and believe me it was not +3 more like -1 on the thermometer in my car, this country is not flat so the difference in temperature varies greatly, there's a place i frequent in north yorkshire that has a 5 degree difference in temprature just one mile away as it is 1100ft above sea level, also Durham is a big area some parts have snow laying others have none.

If you know where they brood and know where they stored their honey...then you will know what the cappings indicate.

How would you know? unless you're on one of them idiots who opens up every five minutes even in the winter. Where the brood is in October can be totally different in January. I'm afraid you've got that one totally arsey versey - you will know where the brood is by where the dark capping are.

Latest posts

Back