Using water spray instead of a smoker

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My smoker was in the car last year unlit and there it stayed.

No need for oil or fuel or gloves really except to keep my hands clean.

The wife justifiably gets upset if the steering wheel is propolised. Not keen in it myself either really. ;)

PH

My smoker was in the car last year unlit and there it stayed.

No need for oil or fuel or gloves really except to keep my hands clean.

The wife justifiably gets upset if the steering wheel is propolised. Not keen in it myself either really. ;)

PH
Each to their own, I've done plenty of beekeeping without a veil but I always like to have my smoker lit.

I started out with the intention of only using water whenever possible, though I've always had the smoker at least with me, but found that it often seemed to be during those 'little' jobs: "I'll just go out and do this, or just do that" when things didn't go well, and when I'd have done a lot better with the smoker lit! And I found that daunting jobs with my local mongrels, anyway, went sometimes remarkably smoothly for me and bees, with a puff of smoke, compared with water spray.

I started out with the intention of only using water whenever possible, though I've always had the smoker at least with me, but found that it often seemed to be during those 'little' jobs: "I'll just go out and do this, or just do that" when things didn't go well, and when I'd have done a lot better with the smoker lit! And I found that daunting jobs with my local mongrels, anyway, went sometimes remarkably smoothly for me and bees, with a puff of smoke, compared with water spray.
There are 20,000 year old cave paintings in Spain showing people using smoke, it works!

Well I felt smoke must be a bit harsh on the bees when I started, until I saw all could be calmer, smoother & quicker for using it, on occasion at least.

Well I felt smoke must be a bit harsh on the bees when I started, until I saw all could be calmer, smoother & quicker for using it, on occasion at least.

Absolutely!
I think there's a tendency on here for people to make out they're a superduper beekeeper or their bees are superduper if they don't use smoke and I think it's a terrible message to relay to beginners.

I always light a smoker but seldom use much. In the smoker goes foraged dried rotten wood, with dried lavender prunings and dried orange peel all topped with a handful of green grass. I doubt the bees care much but I like the smell. Dusty Rhodes, who used to post here, used church incense in his.

Absolutely!
I think there's a tendency on here for people to make out they're a superduper beekeeper or their bees are superduper if they don't use smoke and I think it's a terrible message to relay to beginners.

There is a lot to be said for taking every situation as you find it. From my perspective, I don't use smoke (rarely even take a smoker with me) because it affects other things I want to see (e.g. suppressing any naturally aggressive tendency, driving bees off the comb when I want to see their natural activity, etc). Visitors to my apiary often comment that there are no smokers used. It isn't bravado and, if I had bees that needed, I would certainly use one.

Yes I never work mine without a lit smoker; I prefer to use little or no smoke and there are many choices of fuel. I love pine needles if I can get them.

Each to their own indeed but I would not and NEVER have worked bees without a veil.

You get two eyes and that's your lot. Being an avid reader mine are far too important to take chances with.

PH

Water spray is great on a summers evening to get the few stragglers into a bait hive once a swarm has taken up residence usually as it's going dark. I just let them think its raining and in they go. I close up the entrance and replace the bait hive with another empty one.

I like the idea of putting dried orange peel or lavender cuttings in the smoker with rotten wood. Hadn’t thought of that. I hate the smell of burning egg boxes!

I used to get Frankincense from the alchemist at Tewkesbury Mediaeval Fayre, it's a gorgeous smell and the bees seemed to agree.

Latest posts

Back