Using the Cupkit kit.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When placing these pegs in place them close together as bees will find it easier to work them instead of spaced out. Notice how close they can be on a natural frame with queen cells.

Regards;

Good tip Bcrazy,I have 6 per bar with 2 bars on the frame,I did think how come some beekeepers get around 20 per frame.

Again good advice thanks a lot.
Modification 1 to my cell frame is next on the list. rather than holes in a bar how about two parallel rods?, the cup holders could then be actually touching each other. Comments?
Regards Mike

I have 12 cups per bar for a National frame, each hole is 18mm so you can work it out from that.

touching is not good as the bees will "web" wax between the cells thus negating the spacing.

As Heather found out a few bees cannot start cells, they are just too weak.

I repeat that really 7-8 frames of YOUNG bees are needed.

It's not difficult to do this. Put frames of brood minus Q and drones above an excluder and shake them the next day into your starter box, you can spray them with water as you pull the frames to minimize escapees.

Feed said bees in a nuc with a frame feeder, give them empty frames to cluster on and one missing to give space, next to the space should be a pollen comb.

Wait until the next day and offer 24 grafts. Ok you only want two cells? Well you can give the excess away or dump them but consider it honing your grafting skills and it is a learning curve.

Wax cups are easier to use as you can press the grafting tool into the base.

Have a STRONG light source to assist you.

Graft the tiniest larve you can possibly use. If it is bigger than "c" it is TOO OLD

Beyond that it is up to you as I have told you what I know and what I know works for me.

PH

I start queen rearing with the hive which starts naturally to make queen cells. I have new queen in every hive and I am not in a hurry. I change larvae from good hive.

Does it make queen cells or not is a problem in rearing and I don't want to fight with that any more.

Thanks PH,That is very similar to the technique I was reading last night in Queen rearing by Snelgrove.

hi, i hope i am not in the wrong place, or to repeat somewhere that i should have looked.

i got my first hive last year, The queen came from buckfast, so very nice temprement and last year good production, they surviced the winter and they are very busy. I have opened them up, lots of young bees, brood and they are drawing out a second super. ( i have since been told that this was put on too early) but we have acres of rape in flower, we are lucky enough to live on a farm. Anyway, i am rambling on....

i have 2 more hives fitted with foundation, ready to go. I want to breed queens, to run these hives and hopefully offer a bit back and increase bees generally.

I am thinking of the jenter/cupkit route, the kits are on a website, but do i need anything else (frames etc) I am also thinking of the apedia mating hives fro breeding. will this do?

i strange question, but will my queen breed with the drones from my existing hive? does this matter? thinking of crossbreedign etc (bees with webbed feet sends a wrong image)

thanks in anticipation your patience.

Phil

The weather here has been dire, but today was warm enough for a quick check.
Nuc given 18 cups - ZERO acceptance - not enough bees?
Starter hive that I was pretty sure was queenless - SUCCESS at least 12 of the 20 offered being worked on, it was quite windy so I didn't examine them thoroughly but looks OK so far.I will check before I make up the Apideas and Mating Nucs.

Next question - cleaning the Jenter cage and cups. I do not want to remove the Jenter cage from the frame as the bees have built it in beautifully. How thoroughly must it be cleaned? how and with what? The unused cups are no problem -hot soapy water and a good rinse and dry. It's the "real" cells that have small larvae in them that I am concerned about.

Regards Mike

Phil?

I would suggest that your way forward is:

Wait for Queen cells and take of two nucs. One of which has the existing Queen. There by achieving at a simple stroke utilising your two spare hives and dealing with swarming too.

With but one hive buying queen rearing kit is a step for later when you have a few.

PH

MJ?

Probably weather. It is cold.

As for the kit sorry but you have to be ruthless and take it out, spray it with the hose to flush out the larvae, and then trim the wax back and then spray with syrup and give to a colony to begin preparation again.

PH

Latest posts

Back