Using fishing line on frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine it is harder to get taught, harder on the fingers and requires eyelets and some kind of crimping device (rather than just a nail)? Haven't tried to use it myself though.
Yes I do need to use eyelets so the wires stay tight - I wrap the wire ends around small screws which I can then tighten and retighten as required - a box of empty frames sounds like an out of tune harp!

Well I blame fishermen . As for for recycling, more recycled material ends up in land fill than a proper facility anyway usually because its been "contaminated" in some way because it all ends up not being sorted or stored correctly.

Hi
I’ve heard you can use fishing line on frames to support the comb instead of wires when allowing natural comb production rather than foundation. Does anyone use this? What strength fishing line do you use?

cheers

BE
Tried monofilament. My bees rapidly eat through it. A reel of proper frame wire lasts for a long time, but I found that the non stainless wire tends to rust. Easy to pull tight with pliers.

I doesn't sound great if the bees can eat through it. Stainless wire here on all frames. The roll seems to have an enormous length to it as I can do hundreds of frames with a roll. I use eyelets where the wire goes with the grain and no eyelets where it goes across it.... pulled tight with pliers first and then a wire crimper to finish off to a nice tight finish.

Stainless steel.
I tighten using needle nose pliers ( electrical) as these enable tightening easily without cutting fingers.
No eyelets

I collect my wire together and when I have a good bundle put it in in the recycling? Have you seen the pictures of fishing line caught round birds legs - what do you think happens to stuff put in the bin?
As a fisherman I cut all my line into very short pieces before binning them for this reason. Don’t see why as a beekeeper I’d be any different

As a fisherman I cut all my line into very short pieces before binning them for this reason. Don’t see why as a beekeeper I’d be any different
:iagree: apparently even the short pieces can be a danger to birds collecting nesting materials which explained my biennial clearing out of tackle bag and pockets to collect and correctly dispose of all the hoarded bits of line! (which included bits discarded by other, less considerate anglers)

I collect my wire together and when I have a good bundle put it in in the recycling? Have you seen the pictures of fishing line caught round birds legs - what do you think happens to stuff put in the bin?
sorry wasn't clear. i meant rather than putting my old fishing line straight not the bin, I repurpose it for stringing frames rather than directly discarding to a bin. At the end of the frames life, the line goes directly into the black bin system locally this is either incinerated or landfilled with most other non recyclable wastes. That what I expect these waste contractors to do with it. I do not understand those anglers who consider it appropriate to leave litter and line at what ever venue they fish at. If its in your swim , then you pick it up whether you left it or not. anyone caught leaving litter, particularly line should be banned from every venue and publically named.

but this is off topic 😉

Last edited:
sorry wasn't clear. i meant rather than putting my old fishing line straight not the bin, I repurpose it for stringing frames rather than directly discarding to a bin. At the end of the frames life, the line goes directly into the black bin system locally this is either incinerated or landfilled with most other non recyclable wastes. That what I expect these waste contractors to do with it. I do not understand those anglers who consider it appropriate to leave litter and line at what ever venue they fish at. If its in your swim , then you pick it up whether you left it or not. anyone caught leaving litter, particularly line should be banned from every venue and publically named.

but this is off topic 😉
Something to bear in mind is that land-fill sites always have a surface and from what I have seen this is often covered in scavenging birds.

Latest posts

Back