Unusual drone activity around split super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodwood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just walked around apiary and spotted a load of activiity around bottom super of my original old wooden stack.
On closer inpection it appeared that the super had split at the top bar, moving it out of line and allowing about a millimetre gap revealing lots of little heads and antennae madly wiggling about on the inside.
The wierd thing was that all the "outside" bees apparently trying to get in at this point, were drones. i thought initially they were a larger bee trying to rob, but they were all drones.
I quickly dismantled they stack to reassemble with damaged at the top until I managed to return with a new super. Returning ten mins later, the bunch of about 50 drones were still hovering around the top of the hive.

My question for the more experienced beeks here is what could have been going on?
do drones collectively rob?
Could this have been the end of a mating flight?
- although hive is impressively busy and jam packed with bees otherwise working away in an orderly fashion
(The hive is in the middle of a line of five with about a metre between them.
All the other hives are poly in this line up.)

They had swarmed
Found it in a bramble bush the next day
Must've been a mating flight for succeeding queen after all
Hole in super a red herring
Swarm 3/4 filled a new brood box
Now happy next door to original hive in one of tom bick's luxury creations
:)

Original colony still seems busy enough...
Awaiting further swarm depletion though
Just going to leave alone unless anyone has any other suggestions

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back