Underground nest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offa

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi Folks. This is a question that may have been asked a hundred times, anyway. I have what I believe to be an underground bees nest situated halfway down the garden undeneath a small wall. I do not want to kill these bees but they may cause a problem when attending to weeds, cutting the lawn, kids playing etc.
I live in Tamworth staffs and may need someone to sort them out so to speak. They are quite active and some of us do suffer from allergic reaction, which is a worry if one was to be stung by a bee or two. Anyway if anyone out there can give me advice that would be cool.... Cheers Cliff.

What are the bees like? Are they big fluffy bumble bees or honey bees?

If they are bumble bees the colony will only be 80 to 200 strong and all but the Queen will die of before Winter. The Queen never nests in the same place twice so she will be off.

Bumbles shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't tread or sit on one :)

Only young queens overwinter. The old queen is history at the end of the season. Apart from that the advice is good - unless you molest the nest.

RAB

They won't harm you unless you accidentally trap them on bare skin. Leave a small area around the entrance and enjoy!!! Bumblees are friends

Hi folks. I think? they are the bumble bee. I have to cut the grass in a min!!!!!! as I am away all next week and it needs doing. I will omit that patch of grass. Do they get freaked out when it's hot?

I have just mown around my hive - hundreds of bees going in and out -no problems - mowing around a bumble bee nest should be OK.

Ok I am back in one piece..I can see them going in and out of a small hole in the grass beneath the wall. A few came out and I stopped for a moment until they calmed down a bit, then carried on but did leave their space alone. It's very hot to mow anyway. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I do hope they beehave themselves:)

Latest posts

Back