Type of Frames advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxing

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm about to order my first hive.
I've received conflicting (but well intentioned) advice on choice of frames for the supers in a National hive.
My choice is ONLY between one of these three:
Hoffman spacing or
SN1 with narrow plastic ends or
SN1 with wide plastic ends

I'd appreciate any advice from those with experience of using these different types.
Many thanks,
Waxing

I'm about to order my first hive.
I've received conflicting (but well intentioned) advice on choice of frames for the supers in a National hive.
My choice is ONLY between one of these three:
Hoffman spacing or
SN1 with narrow plastic ends or
SN1 with wide plastic ends

I'd appreciate any advice from those with experience of using these different types.
Many thanks,
Waxing
#
for flexibilty go for SN1 with wide spaces as if you stagger the spacers you get the same approx 37mm spacing as narrow spacing and if end on aprrox 41mm/ 44mm depending on make of spacer

see photo in http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4008&highlight=wide+spacers+staggered

hoffmans are 35mm and inflexable, bees like smaller spacing to draw foundation 35/37 and we like wider spacing for drawn honey comb as less wood more honey

and personally i use SN2 as less brace comb drawing but it is not to much of a problem with sn1

ignore the dummy frame in the box, it was going on a brood and a half not for honey

Last edited:
I agree with MM about the wide spacers (plastic) as by staggering them, it allows for 11 frames to fill a National from wall to wall and that reduces wobbling if or when in transit. The other aspect is that as the bees draw the comb, one can if one wishes, progressively move the spacers end on to each other and, providing the bees have not capped much or any, that induces the bees to draw the comb out further which they the fill with even more honey. An alternative of course is to use the 11 slot castellated metal strips (£1.30 pr from Wynne Jones) which are best used in brood boxes anyway and simplifies a little the cleaning of propolis etc around the lugs too. Only my opinion of course. Take your pick.

Latest posts

Back